In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMR 4895 and Varget

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Amazingly close in burn rates and charge weights almost across the board, kind of makes me wonder if the difference is coatings rather than formula.......

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still like Varget over 4895 for my 308's,. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, But Varget has seemed to cut my flyers down when I have a good string going.

I am still out On Varget Vs. H380 for my varmint guns.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I think Varget is less temp. sensitive than 4895.
    It works very good in my 308.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4895 is made in Canada and is from a different plant and process than Varget (or H4895) which is made in Australia.

Similarity in burn rate is a response to market demands.
    I always figured Varget was closer to IMR 4064 but have not studied the load data lately.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They are all within a sneeze of each other, and it depends on the gun as to which I use. Probably 65% of the time Varget gives me better results than either flavor of 4895, but for some guns the opposite is true.

I also find that 4064 generally performs as well as Varget in most applications, though again not all- I'd agree that for H and IMR those two are probably closer.

If you want a head scratcher, some burn rate charts show one right next to the other but others (and not just one as a fluke but a couple) show them a good 10-12 places apart.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why burn rate charts are largely rubbish.

Looking at TESTED load data in a variety of cartridges, it is apparent that Varget, the 4895s, and 4064 are kissing cousins. Not twins. In some loads, one is faster or slower than the others, and they all trade places - but are within a grain or less of each other at maximum charge levels.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've switched from VARGET to H335 for my .223 loads simply because it's much cheaper AND it meters much better. My RCBS Chargemaster has a tough time with VARGET.

I'll use my remaining VARGET (I've got about 16 pounds of it!) for my .30-06 when I run out of IMR 4350.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    I still like Varget over 4895 for my 308's,. Don't know if it has anything to do with it, But Varget has seemed to cut my flyers down when I have a good string going.

Right on about the IMR4895! I've seen it work miracle groups one day and next day, OMG a flyer quite often!
    H4896 seems little more stable, but I try to stay conmpletely away from IMR4895. also seems temperature senstive! It seems too be ok when used for firecrackers, therefore I call it firecracker powder! The 4895 firecrackers also sound louder on a hot day![:I]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF

Right on about the IMR4895! I've seen it work miracle groups one day and next day, OMG a flyer quite often!
    H4895 seems little more stable, but I try to stay conmpletely away from IMR4895. also seems temperature senstive! It seems too be ok when used for firecrackers, therefore I call it firecracker powder! The 4895 firecrackers also sound louder on a hot day![:I]

edited due to typo error!