In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm really frustrated with HSM bullets

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
It seems to be a big problem trying to find load data for HSM plated bullets. They say to use data for a similar lead bullet but its hard to find a similar bullet.

I'm trying to load for 357 and 38 special with HSM flat nose plated 158 grain bullets. The powders that I have on hand are AA #2, AA #7, AA #9, and Alliant 2400.

The 357 load that I tried first (I had tried to calculate based on other loads) was 14.0 gr of 2400. Those were REALLY hot. I should have realized something was wrong when my load for 44 special was 11.2 gr of 2400 with a 267 gr bullet.

Anybody have any suggestions for a new recipe?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have limited experience with plated bullets. I don't load or shoot 357's as a rule. 2400 is not a good choice 38 Special loads.
    If you have a modern firearm it should stand any starting load for 158 gr bullets cast or jacketed; start with the lower one and work your way up until accuracy falls off. My older books using Hercules 2400 list even more 2400 for jacketed bullets in a 357.
    http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can you NOT find a "similar load" for a 158 flat nosed bullet in 357? Most load data indicates the plated bullets are not meant for top end loads which it seems you started out with.
    I treat the plated bullets like swaged or medium hardness cast lead and load appropriately. The plated bullets give me a cheaper alternative to jacketed while producing less smoke and lead fouling than bare lead and reduce the potential for rebound on steel targets.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    How can you NOT find a "similar load" for a 158 flat nosed bullet in 357? Most load data indicates the plated bullets are not meant for top end loads which it seems you started out with.
    I treat the plated bullets like swaged or medium hardness cast lead and load appropriately. The plated bullets give me a cheaper alternative to jacketed while producing less smoke and lead fouling than bare lead and reduce the potential for rebound on steel targets.

I guess I should say that I don't KNOW what would be considered similar in this case. The bullets of the same weight are completely different shapes. Does that make a difference? Or is does it not matter for lead cast?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW Plated bullets have proven to be less accurate than cast in any gun I ever shot them in.

My pet recipe for 158 grain lead cast bullets is 6.0 grains of Unique. It is about 1,000 FPS, powerful yet shootable all day long. I have not used any AA powders in pistols since Unique works so well. Your load of 2400 is my hunting load, it is hot but extremely accurate in my S&W 686.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    It seems to be a big problem trying to find load data for HSM plated bullets. They say to use data for a similar lead bullet but its hard to find a similar bullet.

I'm trying to load for 357 and 38 special with HSM flat nose plated 158 grain bullets. The powders that I have on hand are AA #2, AA #7, AA #9, and Alliant 2400.

The 357 load that I tried first (I had tried to calculate based on other loads) was 14.0 gr of 2400. Those were REALLY hot. I should have realized something was wrong when my load for 44 special was 11.2 gr of 2400 with a 267 gr bullet.

Anybody have any suggestions for a new recipe?

Just use the load for the same weight bullet. The shape of the nose makes no difference at all, just the weight.
    I load plated ones for 9mm and use lead load info. for the same weight.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I just use Lyman lead bullet load data. I think Speer has some too.