In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

220 Swift

hipshoothipshoot Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
Anyone have any experience using 35 grain bullets in a 220 Swift?

Ran into a good deal on some 35 grain bullets and wondering how they'd work in the Swift.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What would cause a bullet to go sideways thru a target? I have a Ruger 220 Swift in a 26" heavy barrel. The load was 50 grn. Sierra Spitzer Blitz with 37 grns of IMR 4895. I'm loading the bullet .010 from touching the lands. I have shot this same load many times without that happening and all of a sudden I get one that actually keyholed. One thing I noticed was my velocity's were in the mid 3700's however the one that keyholed was 200 fps faster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone give me the guff on 220 Swift in a Ruger M77? What's the barrel twist ratio and how's the velocity compare to .223 in similiar grain projectiles? Also trajecory. Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it only happens once it must have been a defective projectile. I have a smooth bore (from being shot out) 256 Newton that would only produce patterns of key holes.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet you had a bullet with a core that was way out of balance, rare but it happens..
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall, the "Blitz" bullets by Sierra were designed to fragment at lower velocities as in the .222 Remington class of cartridges. The standard Sierra spitzers should work better in your Swift. I once fired some 50 gr. Hornady SX bullets @ 3375 fps from a 1-12" .223 and the bullets had started to yaw as they went through the target. They shot fine @ 100 fps slower. Bullets do funny things when fired too fast.

EDIT: I think it unusual that your Swift has a 1-12" twist. the ones I have are 1-14".
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The Sierra Blitz is a light jacketed bullet designed for the 222 Rem and such...I think Sierra say limit velocity to 3500/3600 max. The bullet that keyholed was probably coming apart.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear it might have been a defective projectile. I forgot to mention it is a 1-12" twist. I will try some loads at a lower velocity.
    Thanks for all the info!!