In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester sxt bullets

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
does anyone know where i can find these? just the projectile for reloading. I know there are several similar designs out there. I want these.

Comments

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think that Winchester ever released the SXT as components. I have seen the original Black Talon bullets occasionally on GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its driving me nuts! The performance of the sxt/ranger bullet is unmatched from my carry guns. But, the availability and price of current loaded stock is driving me away and making me want to load my own. Could make them better tailored to my gun that way anyways. If i ever actually need them, lawsuits will be the least of my concerns...But, i cant find the projectiles. Gold dots, hydroshocks, gold sabers, and silvertips abound, but none of them are on quite the same level in my eyes when looking at fully expanded recovered bullets. Although i admit, i have no exparience with the silvertips from winchester other than in 500 magnum. And they did rock, ill admit it. Anyone have experience with them in 40?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't quite understand your problem. You speak of PERFORMANCE. and add that other Projectiles are not at the same level. . I really don't think a paper target would know the difference and suspect any game animal would also have the same results with All brands of projectiles . So that leaves only one other type of shooting DEFENSIVE. I suggest you BUY one box of factory SXT use one half of box to check for function and zero and then Practice with untold amounts of OTHER PROJECTILES. Point of impact at 25 yards most likely be less then 1/2 inch at 25 yards . mental training and marksmanship is the KEY to being able to protect yourself .NOT if one type projectile expands 1/64 of an inch more then another.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, ive always bought my carry ammo but the dwindling supply and increasing price has me wanting to load my own. As far as performance, let me be clear, they ALL work, and work well, but some work better than others. Accuracy and velocity are acceptable across the board but expansion differs a lot out of my particular gun. Ive had several failures to expand from federal hydroshocks and several that expanded well. Due to the failures, im done with them. The gold dots and the rangers have always worked great for me with the rangers expanding just a little aggressively. When it comes to defensive shooting, ill take every edge i can get. So yes, i have the perfect load, but due to supply decreasing now and potentially in the future, i would like to duplicate the load with handloads. I just need the projectiles. I do not know of the ranger/sxt projectile being available as a component so im looking for a similar replacement to play with and do some testing. I like the petal/finger/talon/ whatever you wanna call it design of the ranger/sxt bullet so thats what im looking for. Need to know what to try. Silvertips? Hornady xtp's? Which ones are designed that way?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a rifle once that shot better with factory ammo than my reloads, I gave that rifle away.

I tried some 185 Rem golden sabre bullets for reloads in a 45acp. Shot fine but no expansion at all, looked good enough to tumble and shoot again. For that $30/100 I could have cast and loaded several thousand of my lyman 452374.

If gold dots work for you I'd stock up now why you can. I really enjoy shooting primers that were $5.90/1000 and powder that less than $5/lb.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It looks like the Hornady XTP,s do just as good as the SXT from Win [;)] I have some Fiocchi 380,s loaded with them and they are accurate and open up good [^] They look a lot like the SXT.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    It looks like the Hornady XTP,s do just as good as the SXT from Win [;)] I have some Fiocchi 380,s loaded with them and they are accurate and open up good [^] They look a lot like the SXT.

Ive had good luck in the past with the xtp's. I will have to give them another shot if i cant find what i want. I may have to call winchester and ask the difference between the sxt and the silvertip lines. And why is one available as a component and not the other

I spoke with winchester. I was told that the different lines are indeed different designs completely. The ones I'm looking for are just not available as reloading components. I guess it's either load and test some xtp's, gold dots, and silver tips to see if they're close enough to what I'm looking for... or bite the bullet so to speak and pay the full price for factory loaded rangers... Ahh decisions decisions. It wouldn't be so bad if I could buy 20 or so of each for testing. If I buy 100 (smallest package I can find) and don't like them, then I'm going to have some very expensive paper punchers left over. Damn the first year apprentice's budget!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look into the Federal HST ammo. It's the latest our LEO'S are carrying. I have some but have not shot any yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Federal HST is an excellent load. It has functioned 100% through my gun and expansion is wicked. There is a seller on the auction side that sells them in 50 rd boxes for reasonable prices in the current market. I think his screen name is kylesgunshop. Great guy to deal with. He carries the SXT, HST, and Gold dot loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After a quick google search it definitely looks like the hst is what im looking for. I had never heard of them before. Thank you. Ill be looking into them. So now we have an offering from federal and of course winchester... any others out there similar other than the ones we have already discussed here? Ive been out of the factory ammo game for too long. I dont know whats out there anymore. Thanks to all so far for the help. I have some xtp's on hand that i loaded for testing last night and will be looking into the hst's when i get off work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know of any other bullets that are like the federal HST or winchester SXT. I do know that I tried the hornady xtp and had jacket and core separations. I have tested many rounds in water and wet newspaper and can honestly say the HST, SXT, and gold dot bullets all held together.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever tried the PMC " Starfire " ammo ?

You can get fact. loaded ammo or as a component bullet for reloading .

Also , here's a link for Ranger ammo on the auction side

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=298884077

and these are the starfire bullets

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=297001520
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You never say what caliber you want these in, whether for pistol or rifle, and expect comparisons from other bullets?
    I bought up what appears to be the last of the Winchester/Federal exotic bullet lines some months ago through Dillon and MidwayUSA.
    I wound up with Nyclad Hollow Points, Nyclad Semi-Wadcutters, and Nyclad Roundnose Lead-style bullets in .355 and .358 diameters in 129 and 158gr. weights; FS300 component bullets for 308 and 300WinMag; and a selection of Silvertips from .380 to .40S&W.

I like the Golden Sabers for the 115-124gr.9mm and 135-155gr.40 loads because the slits in the bullet nose are counter to the rifling, and seem to rip stuff open.

Silvertips are fine in anything over 1800fps; but won't expand fer nothin' under about 1000fps.

The Nyclads are great if I don't want to clean the bore right away; but the semiwadcutters still leave some debris.

I really like the FS300s in 180gr. form for my long-range Antelope/Elk medicine out of the 300WinMag; they seem not to drop that last 5" out at 600yards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    You never say what caliber you want these in, whether for pistol or rifle, and expect comparisons from other bullets?

I want these in 40S&W. Between 155-180gr. And to be fired out of a Glock 23 to be used as home defense and critter control in the woods if the need arises. I have a recovered Silvertip that I fired from a 500 S&W Magnum that opened beautifully, but I don't have the velocity out of my glock to reliably open them from what I've read.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Wow.
    You may be outta luck looking for the SXT line; the only ones that Winchester had were the Failsafe line components, and they used the same bullet as the Black Talon.
    Try some of the Golden Saber rounds in 135-155gr weights and see if your G-rod likes 'em.