In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Classic Sniper Matches

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
My father and I are thinking of competing starting next season. It looks like it will become very popular. Right now I can't find much information on matches other than Perry. Trying to find a directory or information on where matches will be held starting in 2013.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at www.snipershide.com or www.snipercentral.com or
    www.nrawc.org That is the Wittington center.
    One of the three should have info for you.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,

Here is the premier series of 'sniper competitions':

http://precisionrifleseries.com/

One of the very best and most interesting (read Challenging) is ASC or Allegheny Sniper Challenge. This is more fun than most people can stand:

http://alleghenysniperchallenge.com/

Then there is the NCPPRC:

http://ncpprc.com/

And there are probably a thousand more but I won't list them all. This will get you started and you should start a search and bookmark section for yourself to keep track of all of the ones you find interesting.

I manage to shoot about 10 of these a year if I can get away but this year has been slim pickins' because of the increased demand for my time in the shop. I'm aiming[;)] for the NCPPRC and ASC for the Fall but the shop schedule will determine my attendance.

Post or e-mail questions.

Best.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the contacts. di d you notice that all the scopes that qualify for the rifles have gone up considerably in price.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP45,

quote:di d you notice that all the scopes that qualify for the rifles have gone up considerably in price.

Unfortunately that can be said for just about everything related to firearms and shooting because of the increase in demand. But...

As much as I like the top quality scopes for any type of shooting, it can be prohibitive to maintain the same level due to the escalating cost. I have seen many folks compete and win on any given day with the less expensive but better quality scopes so long as the scope has the appropriate reticle. Most of the scopes used in competition feature Mil-Dot reticles but MOA will work also as long as you understand how to use a particular reticle for ranging targets. Too often the range or sponsors (organizers) don't allow rangefinders so the scope reticle has to provide that information.

The Vortex Viper PST with the First Focal Plane reticle is a great scope for anyone with a desire to shoot competitions. It has always been my first recommendation for most shooters. It's also not nearly as expensive as the Premium priced scopes which have gotten too pricey for many at the retail level.

Don't forget to look at the Burris offerings, either. They can be reasonably priced as well as functional. I have skipped Leupoold for the last 15 years or so because they have become overpriced and under delivered in quality when compared to similarly or even some lesser priced scopes. The Vortex mentioned above is a primary example.

Always be sure to check the knobs and rings for comfort, placement and ease of use. Proper positioning is important to competitors.

Best.