In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Half and Half

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
I have a 13" bar of relatively soft alloy that is marked "Half and Half".
Assuming it doesn't mean "half yours and half mine" (Arf 'n Arf), I'm wondering if it might be a tin/lead alloy? Believe it's a remnant my dad may have used in his bullet casting. Thought I'd put it up on the auction side with a 1 cent/no reserve bid thinking someone might be able to use it, but thought it would be helpful if I could describe it better. The "bar" (more like a ribbon) is 1/2" wide and 1/4" thick.
Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure sounds like bar solder 50% lead %50 tin. Put it in your tool box in case You need to fix some non drinking water pipe or a soft drift or a shim.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a great bar of solder for bullets! Use it to harden wheel weights when wanting to drive cast bullets near warp speed. [:D]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie and bpost,
    Thanks for the info. My casting days were few and long ago; I buy in bulk now and find my pleasure in reloading and shooting.
    As for shims, am I correct it would be for hammering out thin sheets?
    I may cut it to 12" length; keep the end scrap for shims; and list it for 1 cent with buyer paying actual postage.
    Rob
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's worth a fair amount of change. I haven't followed the lead/tin market on the auctions much lately but IIRC it was goinf for maybe $2/pound. I have a 5-6# chunk I use as a bench block to support AR lowers when driving trigger guard pins and it works very well.