In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Target for peep/iron sights?

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
So... been 25+ years since I've shot a 22 with irons ... but took a new to me Mossberg 44us out the other day, did pretty well.

My problem though is seeing the bulls at 25, 50, and 100 yards. Not thinking, I took my usual stack of targets with 1/2" dots - which work great when I have a 10x+ scope on the rifle. Not so much with irons. I did have a few reduced scale B-2 targets for 25 foot slow fire pistol, and they were OK at 25 and not bad at 50...

Suggestions please? Either PDF files I can print, or a NRA target number (like B-2 or whatever) would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Midwayusa.com has a rifle and pistol target free download. I'd bet you could scale the printout to whatever you want or need.
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the NRA rule book, a standard A23 50 yard smallbore target is black out through the 7 ring, 3.89".

I'd try smaller rather than larger, or in addition to the 4". A centerfire target typically has about a 5.5 moa aiming black. So make some at 3" too and see how you hit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    From the NRA rule book, a standard A23 50 yard smallbore target is black out through the 7 ring, 3.89".

Thanks, I can use some desktop publishing stuff to make myself 4" black circles.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For casual shooting I use paper plates which do quite well at 25 to 50 yards, with or without black circles drawn on them. They will do at 100 yards but should have a larger backing behind them to show off-target hits.
    It is fun to shoot a .22 at 100 yards: rifle or pistol. 100 yard sillouete shooting with a .22 pistol is a real challenge. 100 yards will really show how accurate your rifle is, and, how good your trigger control and sight alignment is.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    For casual shooting I use paper plates which do quite well at 25 to 50 yards, with or without black circles drawn on them. They will do at 100 yards but should have a larger backing behind them to show off-target hits.

I call those "misses". [:D][:0][:D]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Yep I call those misses also!

Might consider getting some big watermelons or 5 gallon buckets of water, or some of them large weather ballons to see your hits when using the irons and peeps at 100 yards![:o)][:)]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

Might consider getting some big watermelons or 5 gallon buckets of water, or some of them large weather ballons to see your hits when using the irons and peeps at 100 yards![:o)][:)]

Those are 'near hits'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

Someone left an un-touched 12" shoot-n-see target on the 100 yard line... had no problems aiming, after doing 14" of elevation I was able to get a well centered group of about 4". I'm not complaining :)