In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 Long colt load needed

trainman115trainman115 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
I have lots of Sierra #8820 45 cal bullets and IMR 800X powder can any one tell me a good starting load I am shooting hem out of a OLD 92 winchester and a ubertia hand gun Thanks for any info

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What old 92 do you have in 45 Long Colt?
    Whatever caliber it's in, I wouldn't worry about it coming apart.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think ANY '92 Win rifles were ever chambered in .45 Colt. Yours must be a modern reproduction or a rebuilt Winchester. Your Uberti revolver is not as strong as a Ruger and can't be loaded above original 45 Colt SAA pressures.

Keep loads for the Uberti to no more than 900 fps with that Sierra 240-gr JHP. The same loads fired in the rifle will probably give you 1000 fps.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys but no told me how much 800X I should use and yes my 92 winchester was a 44-40 at one time some used the orginal barrel and made it into a 45 long colt no sure Y but I bought it that way because I want a old good gun not a repuduction on I collect old sxs hammer guns when I can find them my 92 shoots very well Thanks again Ed
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

select pistol and 45 colt get data
    many loads for 800x

Always good to ask. I wouldn't hesitate to use data for a 250 gr to load 240 gr bullets especially in the starting end. I do question the use of jacketed bullets in soft bbls.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks but no loads for the 240 grain JHP I am not sure if I can use the 250 grain load data or not Ed
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trainman115
    Thanks but no loads for the 240 grain JHP I am not sure if I can use the 250 grain load data or not Ed

Yes you can.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I will give it a try I will start at the lowest load
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd use the slowest powder that will give you 900fps out of the revolver
    so you can expect a maximum gain out of the longer barrel.
    The 92 action is very strong and in its' day, high speed ammo was specifically made for it and marked "For Winchester 1892 Only".
    The conversion can't be that old because until the early-mid 1960's balloon head cases were still being made for 45LC. Not having an extractor groove they can't be used in the '92 as there is too little rim to grip. That was solved with the 38-40 and 44-40 in 1873. After the 1960's the 45Long Colt became a viable lever gun candidate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info V35 so your saying to ever made my old 92 winchester 44-40 into a 45 long colt must have done it in the past few years?? I have shoot lots of lead bullets out of it but not much jacket bullets I do have some of the 240 grain but cant find not load for it that will use 800X powder some told me the 250 data will work there was a question on here if my 92 was old or a newer one my is OLD has all winchester markings on the barrel but the 44-40 was over stamped to 45 long colt not sure why someone would do that not even sure how they would cut the rifling in the barrel but it shoots good and tight groups too I sure wish I could find the histroy of it Ed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try a few rounds using published loads for 250 grain bullets as a start.
    There are shops that specialize in reboring and rerifling shot out barrels. Your rerifling job was a good one.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There used to be a lot of "modernizing" of Winchester '92s before the present crop of replicas and the new production Marlin 94.

Reboring the barrel to a different caliber is a standard job, the real gunsmithing challenge was to get the action to feed a straight walled cartridge instead of the bottleneck it was made for. Even a .44-40 has enough bottleneck to help feeding out of a tubular magazine.

Stick to standard loads, as said up to 900 fps from a revolver.
    The 92 action is strong but the barrel shank is rather small diameter. I have read of bulged barrels in .44 Magnum conversions and a .45 Colt Ruger-only load would have the same risk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On modifying the 92, the cartridge guides in the receiver sides need to be removed and modified by welding and recutting rim clearances. The firing pin may have to be reduced in diameter and the breechblock bushed.
    The American Rifleman Gunsmithing guide gives detailed instructions on converting 38-40 & 44-40, 92s to 44 Mag. The smaller 32-20 & 218 Bees can be reworked in a similar fashion to 357.
    Since ammomakers stopped making high speed loads for the 92 and others,these calibers became illegal for deer hunting. Conversions became popular to make 92s more practical and legal for deer hunting.
    It's not just a rebore job.