In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

sorting mixed calibers of brass

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone found out an easy way to seperate mixed calibers of brass? Like when it's all jumbled together loose in the bottom of your range bag after picking it all up from your last 4 or 5 shooting sessions and finally getting around to sorting it? Other than the obvious sit down and sort through them one case at a time... That's the best way I can think of but who knows. Maybe someone out there is smarter than me.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For pistol calibers, there is a sorter:
    http://shellsorter.com/
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it to the carpet crawlers to sort [:D]
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse

Holy crap! I knew there was someone smarter than me out there! That company should send you an email thanking you for the sale. Lol. Ill be ordering one within the month!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Give it to the carpet crawlers to sort [:D]

No carpet crawlers here. Its gotta be me or the dog. And the dog did a terrible job last time.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer

Holy crap! I knew there was someone smarter than me out there! That company should send you an email thanking you for the sale. Lol. Ill be ordering one within the month!

Dillon or Midway both have them [;)]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I have that sorter, works great. You just need to pick the 9mm out of the .40 cases, and the 40's out of the .45 cases as they tend to get together when thrown into a bucket at the range.
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 9mm stuck in a 40SW which is stuck in a 45. Been thinking of a wildcat round based on that, familiarity breeds foundness they say.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Half the fun of reloading is getting to know each case one at a time...[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Half the fun of reloading is getting to know RESHOOT each case one at a time...[:)]
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since all cases need to be inspected, I do my sorting, inspection, and depriming as one operation prior to case cleaning. You're going to pick up each case any way to inspect, so you can certainly do your sorting then.
    Now, if there were ONLY 9x19, .40S&W, and .45Auto cases to sort, the sieves might be of a lot more use.
    Currently, I have to really inspect each .45Auto case to weed out the small primer cases.
    Nothing a progressive hates more than a 9mm Mak case being in among the 9x19s, so case head inspection is always needed any way.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Since all cases need to be inspected, I do my sorting, inspection, and depriming as one operation prior to case cleaning. You're going to pick up each case any way to inspect, so you can certainly do your sorting then.
    Now, if there were ONLY 9x19, .40S&W, and .45Auto cases to sort, the sieves might be of a lot more use.
    Currently, I have to really inspect each .45Auto case to weed out the small primer cases.
    Nothing a progressive hates more than a 9mm Mak case being in among the 9x19s, so case head inspection is always needed any way.

for us, 9, 40, 45, and 223 is all that will need sorted. it is all we shoot from semi autos. it's easy to grab the brass from our bolt guns at the range. that stuff never even hits the ground. so the slots will work perfect for us when i get around to buying them.