In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thanks, sandwarrior, for the 222 load

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
You mentioned a load, a couple months ago, for the .222 consisting of 22.8 gr. of AA2015 with the 50 gr. Sierra spitzer. I didn't have AA2015 on my shelves so had to get some. I have several .222's and tried your load in a 788 and a 700ADL--they shot great so I loaded some for some of the other rifles. I have a BSA that's a problem child so I'll try your load in that. BTW: Your load clocked 3111 fps in the 788 and 3058 fps in the ADL.

Also, I found another load that shoots pretty well in some of my rifles; 19.7 gr. of IMR4198 with the 55 gr. Sierra blitz. Speed is right around 3000. IMR4198 does not meter nearly as well through a measure as AA2015 though.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're welcome, and I'm glad that helped.[:D]

FWIW, back when I was still learning to reload, my Dad had tried 4198 (we didn't know we should be differentiating back then) with 50's and 55's. It didn't work so well. We got a standard load of 24 gr. of 4895 (again no differentiation) behind a 50 gr. Sierra Blitzking and those shot well. It wasn't until I had almost left for the Army when I re-discovered the IMR 4198 behind 40 gr. pills. I forget the load, but man did they shoot flat! And straight. When I came back from the Army I never could get the heavier bullets to shoot as well as the 50's with 4895 in my Dad's rifle. Try as I might later, I couldn't get Dad to try AA2015.

Also, when I used that AA2015 load, I literally had to pick my jaw up out of the snow. I could shoot pretty well, but I've never before or since put groups together that you had to look hard at to see it was multiple shots. That sold me on the AA2015.