In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornet bullets

kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
Some one gave me a whole pile of Sierra 223 diameter 40 gr bullets. Since I don't have a 22 Hornet, can I load them in a 556 case and shoot them out of my AR? Or do I have an excuse to buy a new rifle?[?]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will work in your 5.56 but not nearly as well as in an old Hornet. Good chance they will self destruck at top velocity, you might want to not load them that hot. I vote for a new old rifle.

added I can't find my old Sierra book but the .223 were made just for the Hornet velocity. No real harm in gray puffs of smoke other than a waste of powder and primers.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree. Those bullets have VERY thin jackets and may well turn into short gray streaks in the air if launched at warp speed. They're meant for 2800 fps or so, tops.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I vote for a new old rifle."...+1............duh [;)]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sierra has charts on that bullet with a muzzle speed up to 3500 FPS.
    It's not so much the speed, but the wrong speed in the wrong rate of twist rifling.
    What is your rifle's rate of twist??

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th-rifle_tables/pdf/22440hornet.pdf
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    Most of my ARs have a 1-9 twist. I do understant that the jackets are probably pretty thin compared to the usual .224s.
    So with a 1-9 twist, how slow do I have to go to keep them from coming apart and still function the gun?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Duh! Winning!

quote:Originally posted by babun
    Sierra has charts on that bullet with a muzzle speed up to 3500 FPS.
    It's not so much the speed, but the wrong speed in the wrong rate of twist rifling.
    What is your rifle's rate of twist??

Agree here.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexplained/4th-rifle_tables/pdf/22440hornet.pdf

quote:Originally posted by kenlguy
    Most of my ARs have a 1-9 twist. I do understant that the jackets are probably pretty thin compared to the usual .224s.
    So with a 1-9 twist, how slow do I have to go to keep them from coming apart and still function the gun?

Use bottom load of H4198, AA1680, AA2015, RE-7/10 or X-Terminator and work up until bullets turn into grey puffs, or accuracy goes totally out of hand.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kenlguy

Those bullets are made for a 1/14 twist. They will work OK in a 1/12.
    If you push them too fast in your 1/9 you will just see a puff down range [:0]
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornet bullets were made for a 1-16" twist.