In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favorite load for 250 grain ACP load

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Anyone have a favorite load for the 250 Gr JTC bullet in a 45ACP?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow Be careful the over all length of a 250 grain is going to reduce case capacity. I have never shot anything heavier then 230 Grain . Also remember recoil impulse will be greater you might need heavier recoil spring as well as fireing pin return spring. Give me a call and I might have some 230 grain bullets I can sell you CHEAP. I go to the range every wednesday Karl
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK Karl. I have a lot of old components I want to use up.
    Loading tables do show the 250 gr FP in 45ACP but I was hoping to save some experimenting. OAL range is very narrow. Any longer and shoulder hits rifling and any shorter, they're inside the case.
    My Kahr TP45 came with a heavy spring, good for +P but too strong for Std 230 gr factory ball loads.
    I do have some lighter springs that work well for 200 gr tgt loads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shot a 260 cast bullet in the 1911; I learned from top gunsmiths the extra weight of the bullet put recoil stresses on the gun it is not designed for.

My suggestion is to swap them with someone that has 200-230 grain bullets.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read once that a 250 gr bullet stresses the gun at almost twice what a 230 does. I never shot 250's in any of my 1911's. Had a buddy that used them in Model 25 S&W.