In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady lock and load powder measure

vette81vette81 Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
Im stll learning when it comes to reloading so bear with me. I recently purchased a new powder measure. The problem Im having is inconsistent powder drops. I check each drop using a electronic scale and Im seeing a difference as much as .5 grns on some drops. Im using Unique powder and loading 44 and 45 acp rounds. Thanks in advance. [:)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a duel drum RCBS and a little Dandy. To get good results with any powder measure you need to look at your technique. Fill hopper near full with powder. Make first adjustment, throw 10 to 20 charges return them to hopper. Weigh make adj repeat.

Once happy with charge start filling cases in loading block, I check every 10th one. Do not let hopper get below 1/2 full.

Loading operation can cause powder to settle, I don't have my measure hooked to my stand.

Some powders meter better, static and humidity can be a factor too. Some scales work better. .5 gr in 5 is not good, .5 gr in 13 is not so bad, .5 gr in 70 you will not be able to tell.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will try filling the hopper all the way next time. I was only filling a little less than half way.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If new, take apart and clean. There is rust inhibitor in there. Will not throw consistent at all until clean and dry.

If you did that, make sure you are using the pistol rotor, the smaller one. I found that the rifle rotor is a little inconsistent on those pistol charges. I've loaded over 10k pistol rounds with mine, and yes I forgot to wipe out when new[:I]. The rifle rotor works well too, I just use for 223 and 204 loadings(over 20grs of powder).

EDIT: A non chlorinated brake cleaner or a similar gun cleaner. Just something that will dry well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will try cleaning it. What do you suggest to remove the rust inhibitor.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be sure to NOT get any brake cleaner on the plastic powder silo! Take that off first and allow the metal parts to thoroughly THOROUGHLY dry.

And never oil a powder measure. That may seem obvious, but I've seen some that looked like the guy had been dispensing road tar through it. Powder is coated with graphite, and that's all the lube your measure needs. Some guys run a pound of powder through a new measure after de-greasing it to graphite coat everything (saving the powder, of course.) That's not a bad idea.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took it apart and cleaned it with brake cleaner and let it dry. Filled hopper with powder and tried again it is doing better. Loads seem to be more consistent than before. Thanks for the help guys.[:)]
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done using mine. I'm just starting reloading so I've been very slow and methodical, measuring every dispensed load. I have the smaller tube in and need 24 grains of powder for .45LCs. I set it to 12 grains and do a double charge for each case. (I know this sounds like a lot but I'm using IMR4227 powder and this is the lighter load in the Nosler book.)

I'm using a Winstead Peters scale as recommended by someone on here and it's extremely accurate. Within 0.2 grains but usually right on. I weighed every round of 50 dispensed. I would estimate that 50% read 24.0. About 46% of them read 24.1 and maybe 4% dispensed gave me 24.2. Needless to say, I could have checked the first one and loaded all 50 without checking again.

I did spray the cylinder with dry lube and wiped it down to remove oil from the factory. It says in the directions to do this before use.

My only issue with it right now is the lower lock ring but I will be starting another thread for that.