In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady LnL Powder measure lock ring

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
I recently started using this powder measure that I've had quite a while. It works great but the lower lock ring has issues with the set screw and the insert that goes in on the threads to lock it. The ring itself and the insert appear to be two different metals. The insert seems to be stuck out so it spins off really hard.

I tried squeezing it back in with some pliers (not very hard) and the insert is so soft that it was dented by the pliers. Now I can't even screw the thing back on. It looks like I'm going to have to order a new one now. Is this a part that needs to be kept oiled? It seems that it could have fused with the other metal and does not move in and out freely.

Comments

• Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I figured this out on my own. I have the old style lock ring with the insert that has to clamp down on the threads. The new one has a set screw on the outside and clamps down all the way around. I ordered the new one from their website for $4.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't have to screw down the set screw.
    You can just torque the lock ring down against the press and not worry about the set screw. You do lose your setting when you remove the die from the press.
    Of course, with the die bushings, you simply remove the bushing and the torqued down die and lock rings isn't touched.
    I prefer this method over trying to get the case and die aligned and then raising the die and lock ring up little to tighten the set screw. I feel that I lose the alignment and the die is now NOT troqued tight to the press/bushing.
    For the powder die, be sure you find a bushing that is TIGHT or put a shim under the bushing. The powder measure weighs a lot and is top heavy and the vibration of the press can loosen a bushing if the o-ring is slightly too small to really lock it down.