In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgdon Superformance & Hybrid 100V

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
Has anybody used this stuff? I have been experimenting with the .300 RCM in a 22" Ruger 77. I have some factory cartridges and they clocked 3114 fps with 165 gr. bullets and 2901 with 180's. The H100V, without hitting the top load in the book, gave me 2867 fps with 180 Hornady SST (probably close enough!). But the Superform and 165's went 2839 fps. A bit dissapointing. Any comments? Maybe I'll just stick with the old tried and true 4350 and 4831.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Hodgdon says in writing, Superformance powder may not give superior or even equal results in cartridges other than the ones they have printed data for.

Edited to eat crow.

Hodgdon DOES list Superformance powder in the 300 RCM with both 165 and 180-gr bullets. Not the bullets you are using, so that may account for some error -- but they do list it. Velocities they got with compressed loads are about 3100 fps, or the same as factory ammo.

If you use the exact components they list, you should be able to get closer to their speeds than you did.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the weight bullets you listed I would be looking at H4831 & H1000 to see what is available for your application.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

Here is the short version.

I have no experience with Superperformance and I don't anticipate any in the near future.

However, I have a lot of experience with the 100V in over a dozen cartridges to date. It is a cooler burning powder therefore it shows lower velocities on a chronograph when compared to standard or high energy powders. I use it mostly in competitions when the promoters have set a velocity limit (think about the NASCAR idiots...) for the match. I can take a higher energy cartridge and calm it down enough to shoot a handicapped match easily. You will not see the top end of the velocity range using this powder.

Now for the speed kings, 4350 in all 3 flavors will work sufficiently for most folks using both bullet weights. But the best velocities will come from Re-17 and Ramshot Hunter. The other powders listed are too slow and will gain you nothing with a short barrel.

On the other hand, Re-17 will surprise everyone with the full case performance using the lighter 165 gr. bullets. The heavier bullets will require using a tad less powder to stay within the operationally suggested pressure range.

Best.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried the Superformance in my 22.250 and my 25 WSSM. I was seriously not impressed with accuracy with several bullets of the recommended weight.

It was also the filthiest powder I have used in my 7 years of handloading.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of H100V in a 257 Roberts with 100 gr hp's, and also in one of my 22br's with 40 gr BT's.
    Both rifles shoot very well with it...
    Hornady claims it sets between H-4831 & H-4350, and that seems about right so far..