In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 case seperation

dustebuttdustebutt Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
Had a friend go out shooting his AR and came back with about 20 or so rounds that seperated about 3/4" down on the neck. Any ideas as to why this might have occured? They were reloaded rounds. Thanks for all help.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Either reloaded many times or worked the neck to much.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not enough information. Split neck or case seperation near the web is more common for been reloaded to many times.

Perhaps it is a Bubba anneal job on the brass that went threw a SAW with more than optimial headspace.

It wouldn't hurt to inspect the chamber and perhaps check the headspace. A review of the cases history and loading data woud be a good place to start.
  • Options
    dustebuttdustebutt Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, it appears to be only Winchester NT brass. Even on the loaded ammo we can see a ring in the brass where it is splitting. Will be picking those out and not taking a chance on them. Thank you for the replies.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Too much use..bin the junk ! all of them.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since it is the same brass causing all of the splits, I am going to agree with Charlie that those particular cases were used in a SAW (which seems to punish the brass a lot) or other poorly-headspaced gun before you guys got it.

The NT is the Non-Toxic loading now used at a lot of agency and Military ranges for training. The brass seems as good as any other Winchester brass according to posters on other forums I have read, and should last as long as the stabdard lead cases (provided the gun firing it is properly headspaced).

I also agree that you should leave the "shiny ring brass" in the bag and not shoot it. IMO it's not worth the risk of damage to gun or person.