In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunblowup pics

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭✭
as promised here are the pics of my weatherbyhttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/camera5114.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/camera5114.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/camera5103.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/camera5107.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/88/camera5116.jpg/ I also consulted with a gunsmith who agrees that there was no barrel obstruction He was an army marksman ship team member and teaches gunsmithing at an area college.He had no explanation and neither do I
cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it is worth, I agree with him.
    A barrel obstruction normally ruptures the barrel with little or no harm to the action. A blown receiver like this is a sign of a gross overload, soft casehead, or the elusive "detonation." The barrel may be undamaged.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here they are so everyone can see them without effort:

camera5114.jpg

camera5103.jpg

camera5109.jpg

camera5107.jpg

camera5104.jpg

Best.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks broken.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Wow are you absolutely SURE you did not load an improper caliber cartridge that was shorter but larger diameter bullet. . did you recover any part of the case [?][?]Every year our rifle and pistol club
    has one week-end a year for PUBLIC SIGHTING-IN days. We had a blowup close to this years ago . Guy had a bolt action Mauser type rifle in 30/06 and a marlin in 35 Remington . mixed up his reloaded cartridges. KABOOM. after that we now check ammo against each gun only one gun per shooter then move to the back of the line. We used to allow one shooter to come to the line with any number of guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you look at the bolt it was venting a LOT of gas it almost looks plasma burned. I am still suspecting a double charge.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, that is a TON of gas venting down the magazine well. The OP has stated that the chrono gave 3 readings for the 3 prior rounds,..so I guess we can eliminate a bore obstruction.

All I can figure is,....
    1. double charge
    2. detonation
    3. oversized projectile
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can you post more pictures? Some close ups of the bolt, bolt lugs and the chamber area.....
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Can you post more pictures? Some close ups of the bolt, bolt lugs and the chamber area.....

And the barrel....the chamber end.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Dang dude!!
    Did that take any hide off'ya?
    U gonna levy a heavy law sute?
  • Options
    WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    Looks like an overcharge causing a catastrophic casehead failure. Could also be from defective brass. The only other thing that I've seen come close to that was a guy that fired a 8mm Mauser in 1903A3. On that one a piece of his receiver hit my right shoulder 30 feet away, left a small bruise. He lost two fingers.

I'm happy that the only major damage was to the rifle. You may not believe it but your a lucky man.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you get a chronograph reading on the shot that caused the blow-up? If so, how did it compare to the previous readings?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    If you look at the bolt it was venting a LOT of gas it almost looks plasma burned. I am still suspecting a double charge.

+1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I will stick by my thought that Something larger then .308diameter was at the front of the chamber that prevented almost all gases from entering the bore until pressure was so high it blew the receiver[:(!]
    is there anything currently in the bore[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    First all thanks to all for the kind thoughts and well wishes thanks to God I was not seriously hurt. TO answer some of the obvious questions #1 no barrel obstruction found in fact gunsmith says barrel could easily be reused . #2 The only bullets on hand were all .30cal as I own nothing larger. I was weighing every charge as I loaded .Do not think I double charged but I guess anything is possible.I have been in contact with the powder company and will be sending them some of the loads for inspection /testing maybe we will figure it out eventually
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pulsarnc
    First all thanks to all for the kind thoughts and well wishes thanks to God I was not seriously hurt. TO answer some of the obvious questions #1 no barrel obstruction found in fact gunsmith says barrel could easily be reused . #2 The only bullets on hand were all .30cal as I own nothing larger. I was weighing every charge as I loaded .Do not think I double charged but I guess anything is possible.I have been in contact with the powder company and will be sending them some of the loads for inspection /testing maybe we will figure it out eventually

Glad you're not too damaged. Please let us know of any results you may get.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The more I consider this, the more I gravitate to the opinion that you somehow must have double-charged a case. A distraction, a simple mental lapse, something...

You used (IIRC) a 29-gr charge. I just tested it, and 58 grains of A5744 fills a .30-06 case right to the base of the neck. You'd have felt nothing odd while seating a bullet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In rifles, this is why I use powders that are impossible to double, because a single charge is far over half of case capacity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The more I consider this, the more I gravitate to the opinion that you somehow must have double-charged a case. A distraction, a simple mental lapse, something...

You used (IIRC) a 29-gr charge. I just tested it, and 58 grains of A5744 fills a .30-06 case right to the base of the neck. You'd have felt nothing odd while seating a bullet.

BINGO!
    The pressures required to shatter a modern receiver with modern metallurgical chemistry, heat treating and quality control are mind boggling. The pressures would have to be off the chart to do that much damage to a gun. The fact the bolt lugs held fast probably save your life.

Again, thank the Lord above you are in one piece and the gun took the hit. WOW!
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

Thanks, Rocky.

I was pretty sure it was possible, but did not say anything because I don't have the brass or powder to experiment with.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did anybody notice that the trigger might still be good?[;)][:D]
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did that exactly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

[:D][:D]

Maybe the recoil pad could be salvaged too?[:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

[:D][:D]

Maybe the recoil pad could be salvaged too?[:I]

Yep, that too, all the recoil went down or up. I'm not thinking the shooters pants would be worth salvaging though....[xx(][xx(]....[;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Investigation is ongoing as to the cause of the blowup. The sling ,sling swivels recoil pad and trigger might re reusable . The trigger and firing pin seem to work ,at least it trips when you try it. as to the pants they went straight into the washing machine !No really you are soooooo scared that the long held belief that you need to change drawers is incorrect.Everything closes up tight and remains so for a while.As info is obtained I will post updates
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Nothing what a touch of loctite IS496 wont fix [:D]

You lucky man [;)]
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question begging to asked is , why would anyone use such a fast burning powder in a .30 Cal. rifle ! . Althought you don't mention the actual chambering , so we're left to assume .308 Win. or 30-06 , neither of which works for beans with a half full case ! Your velocity readings must have been very low on the ones you did record ? The lesson here is , select powders that fill the case to at least 80% of capicity . Double charging will be impossible , and these powders will produce the best velocity . This is something an experienced reloader should know , for his own safety , and those around him at the range or wherever ! Oh that sphincter muscle tightening is known as shock .
  • Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a 30-06. The first post he made explained it without pics.

quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    The question begging to asked is , why would anyone use such a fast burning powder in a .30 Cal. rifle ! . Althought you don't mention the actual chambering , so we're left to assume .308 Win. or 30-06 , neither of which works for beans with a half full case ! Your velocity readings must have been very low on the ones you did record ? The lesson here is , select powders that fill the case to at least 80% of capicity . Double charging will be impossible , and these powders will produce the best velocity . This is something an experienced reloader should know , for his own safety , and those around him at the range or wherever ! Oh that sphincter muscle tightening is known as shock .
  • Options
    edited November -1

Oneoldsap,

5744 is often used in reduced recoil loads. Wisdom shows many of us though, what you have stated. Picking a powder that will substantially fill more than half a case.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really are lucky.
    When my 257 Wby blew up, I lost an estimated 3-4 pints of blood, was Lifeflighted to the closest trauma center, required almost 6 hours surgery, had my jaw wired shut for 8 weeks, and still have a lot of nerve damage that makes my face look like I've had a stroke.
    My error was not having the Enfield action magnafluxed before installing the new barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1

XM-5744 is burned by the ton safely pushing cast lead bullets in rifle cases. It is a "go-to" powder for cast bullet shooting.

Another very popular powder for cast bullets in the 30-06 is Unique. About 16 grains of Unique shooting a 170 grain plus cast bullet has proven time after time to be a great load, accurate and powerful enough to kill deer out to 100 yards. At 16 grains you could over charge the case by several charges and still not fill the case to the neck.

A double charge is a double charge; Unique, Red Dot, 2400 or 5744, the pressures are going to Mars and nothing good is going to happen when the firing pin ignites the primer.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Did you get a chronograph reading on the shot that caused the blow-up? If so, how did it compare to the previous readings?

Did the chronograph get a reading?

I suspect double charge of powder! (the factory cautions about double loads when using 5744)

I've used 5744 in several rifles of several calibers, for example 30-06, 7mm Rem mag, 7mm WBY magnum, 270, 223's for reduced loads, reduced recoil for several years. (the reduced load data for 5744 that I use comes from reloading manuals or factory recommendations)
    I'm very careful and keep a heads up alert, knowing that a double charge could be easily overlooked until the trigger is pulled!The 223's are very accurate to 75 yards reduced loads are used at 22 mag velocities and 22 mag sound levels for squirrel hunting. (can use same gun at high velocities for varmits (coyotes) and low velocities for squirrel hunting)

On my regular Hunting rifle loads I start testing and normally select powders that fill the case to 80% or more for at least two reasons, first usually the most consistently accuracy is found with the slower burning powders and also lessens the chance of a double charge!
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I agree, that is a TON of gas venting down the magazine well. The OP has stated that the chrono gave 3 readings for the 3 prior rounds,..so I guess we can eliminate a bore obstruction.

All I can figure is,....
    1. double charge
    2. detonation
    3. oversized projectile

You cannot eliminate bore obstruction, unless you know for sure the bullet the shooter was using, was not gas checked. We do know, if I remember the original post correctly, that these were reduced loads with lead bullets. Being a rifle, of moderate velocity for lead loads, it most likely had a gas check. The gas check could have, fell off and obstructed the bore, while the rest of the bullet, went on to exit the barrel, and cross the chronograph. Seen it happen before in a friends Colt Python.

Best