In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Loader versus a Hand Press

idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
Just thinking out loud here but I travel a lot for work. Often for months at a time and I've found myself wishing I had reloading supplies with me but I'm not about to take down and pack up my regular presses and stuff every time I go somewhere. So, I got to thinking about the Lee Loaders and also the portable hand presses I've seen. They use regular dies which I already have.
Anybody have experience with Lee Loaders or portable presses? If you've used both, which do you prefer?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought and gave away 3 of the Lee hand presses. All of the recipents seemed pleased. A few of the ladies had strength issues full lenght sizing 44 mag cases but could get it done. Ram priming ok but doesn't have the feel of a Lyman 310 tool. I prefer the 310 stuff but you need the correct dies. I have used Lee loaders and was not impressed but they work.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Theoretically, you can turn the Lee Single Stage into a portable...it is very light and compact. Simply take along 2 quality (US made, not the chinese junk), appropriately sized c-clamps and 2 small 1/4" thick oak planks, one for the press to rest on and one for underneath whatever surface you are mounting it to.

Speaking from experience, this works for pistol loads, not sure if it is strong enough for rifle...

Make sure to disassemble before the maid comes [:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just thinking aloud here, but the first time you set off a primer while using a Lee Loader, you'd be looking for a new hotel. If you were lucky, that'd be the worst upshot. If not, well -- I don't think your boss would appreciate a call from a bail bondsman.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you considered the Lyman 310 tool? My Dad bought one for me in 1957 that I still use. I have also added quite a few other sets of dies to my original .32 Special. Eddie
  • Options
    leadburnerleadburner Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lee hand press a lot.It is great for exactly what you want,transportability.
    Yes,you will have to bring dies,any normal dies work,and I would recommend the Lee Auto prime,a Lee perfect powder measure,and a scale.Mount the powder measure on a piece of 1 by 4 and have at it!It to me is a great little press for small batches and working up loads at the range.For the money you won't go wrong.
    As for the reloader tool,it will only neck size,and like another said here,if you pop a primer in a motel room,things could get interesting!
  • Options
    1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I traveled for 21 years doing engineering geophysicis in places you've never heard of. As long as I stayed in the U.S., I took a foot locker full of reloading stuff with me to kill the bordom, It was that or drink myself to death. I did not load complete bullets on the road but did do all the PITA steps necessary to get a bottle neck ready to load. Sure, I scarred up a couple of table tops with the press in the rooms, but if you saw some of the feabags I stayed in, well it was not a problem. When I got home I had bags of cases ready to stuff and shoot.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Update: I finally bought a Lee hand press and I'm very happy with it. I've only resized so far and it works great for that. I've been bringing a couple coffee cans or bags of brass with me when I'm on the road. It amazes me how much I can get done while watching TV after work. With the travel I have ahead of me I'm going to have at least a couple thousand rounds of 40 and 44 mag brass ready for powder and bullets. Very handy little tool.