In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Re-lubing commercial bullets

Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
Hey experts, I have a question regarding commercial bullets and lube.

I stumbled onto about 3,000 125 grain lead SWC bullets that mike at .358. These aren't high-end bullets by any means, but I want to load them up over time for informal .38 Special plinking with 3.8 gr of Bullseye...(Since they're el cheapo bullets I won't be worrying too much about match-grade accuracy)

The issue I have is many (maybe even most) of the bullets have a blue lube in the "grease groove" that looks like it has dried up. Some have bits of the lube missing from the groove, others half. Some have none at all, it has all fallen out.

I don't cast my own so I'm not going to melt them down, so I was wondering if I could use a Lee Alox style lube to "re-lube" the bullets so they won't lead my guns to high heaven. Will this work?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lube used by commercial casters is wax and hard, to stay and not smear all over the other bullets when bulk packed. As a bullet lube it leaves a lot to be desired.

I would try a handful to see how it works, I suspect you will get good results but only experimentation will tell the tale. I sure don't see any potential harm.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 bpost but less bullseye if you want to avoid leading. If you can borrow a luber/sizer soak them in some gas let dry and relube them. For pistol I never care that the grove is full of 50/50 alox/beeswax just that each bullet has some.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To directly answer the question: yes, you can tumble lube them in Lee Liquid Alox - and probably should. That blue stuff won't hurt a thing, and it won't help a thing, either.

I'd cut the load back to 3.5 or even 3.0 grains. Too fast and they'll hit way below point of aim.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cool guys, thanks.
    I'm a dyed -in-the-wool Unique user, and this will be my first entry into Bullseye land. (My Titegroup attempts were not very good, 100% my error) I know Bullseye has been around forever and is favored for the .38's, so I figure I can make it work.

I looked at a few loads for Bullseye, and I kept seeing 4.0+. I wanted something in the 3.0-3.2 range, and I finally found that with 148 gr wadcutters. I'm a-guessing if 3.0 will shove 148, it'll shove 125 just fine.

I'll experiment with different lube options when I get a chance (I have a bunch of stuff coming up on the weekends, so time is short). When I do I'll post what happens. Thanks again!
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the bases are fully-filled, they will shoot fine. I have been impressed over the years at how well even a wrinkly bullet will shoot provided the base if filled-out and even all around.
    The missing lube, especially on one side, can throw off the bullet, but if you are shooting at 25 yards or less it is a non-issue.
    As stated, you can and should tumble lube in LLA.
    I use LLA when I get cast bullets that are just slightly too small and I get some leading.
    If you have a 9x19, try the bullets in it.
    I love 125gn L-SWCs in my 9x19s and most prefer cast lead bullets of 0.358".
    For a revolver, your bullets should be fine, but...
    cast lead bullets should be a TIGHT slip fit in the cylinder's throats and they need to be, generally, at least 0.001" larger than the barrel's groove diameter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, I figured the lube on just one side of some of these bullets might make them fly like a football with a fishing weight attached to the laces. That's why I am just going to load up some softies to teach folks trigger control, a bit of try-to-perforate-the-can plinking for me, etc., as I doubt they'll be super accurate.

I checked a few last night. The bases look pretty good, they just look like a wrinkly mess on the noses...and many have the missing blue-lube in the groove.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Ya, I figured the lube on just one side of some of these bullets might make them fly like a football with a fishing weight attached to the laces. That's why I am just going to load up some softies to teach folks trigger control, a bit of try-to-perforate-the-can plinking for me, etc., as I doubt they'll be super accurate.

I checked a few last night. The bases look pretty good, they just look like a wrinkly mess on the noses...and many have the missing blue-lube in the groove.

The off balance will not cause issues for you in accuracy. Don't underestimate the accuracy with even poor bullets out of a 38. The cartridge is forgiving and inherently accurate. It might not win Camp Perry but it will poke holes in a tomato at 15 yards just fine.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem recently with old dried out 45 200gr swc knurled bullets. The first 50 leaded a barrel to the point of not being worth it.
    Two bottles of Lee Alox lube turned up in two bullet sizing kits. I rolled the bullets around in a container & dried them out for a few days. The lube wasn't thinned out as recommended here but in 200 rounds there was no leading.