In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brass shotgun shell

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
anybody know were to find info on reloading brass (all) shotgun shells?

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I typed it in on a search and everyone and their brother has 2 1/2"....didn't see any 2 3/4".
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to complicate things this is for a 14 ga. martini shotgun. it looks like I'll have to 'wing' it.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the brass, you might be able to use regular 12 ga wads. Back in the day of nitro card and felt wads brass cases used wads with the suffex "B" that were oversized to fit the cases. Or you could make a wad cutter. 14 ga is roughly 69 cal.

I think a guy could make up a few cases. Lathe out a brass base and solder on a tube. Somewhere I have some steel/zink 12 ga. that made that way.

I never likes the water glass for the sealer, much better to roll crimp the end.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "I think a guy could make up a few cases. Lathe out a brass base and solder on a tube. Somewhere I have some steel/zink 12 ga. that made that way."..........There is a 14 ga. brass casing hiding in each .50 cal bmg brass [;)]
    14.jpg

"Way too cool. Is that one of those safety shell ones that have a ring around the primer for the three pronged firing pin"........no, this is for the straight 14 ga.....I've made up a lot of b.p. rifles from these actions and still have several barrels and one complete shotgun that I'm working on now. they were 'prooved' for 1 1/2 oz of shot! 16 ga. plastic wads seem to work ok.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way too cool. Is that one of those safety shell ones that have a ring around the primer for the three pronged firing pin?
  • 4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well darn; I was going to be a hero and tell you who makes the 14 ga. brass shell. No joy. He seems to be gone. I had them make fifty of them for me about ten years ago. I cerroed. the chamber and he turned them to match. I have two of those shot guns.

I won't turn loose of any brass but I have lots of the proper wads if you need some just let me know.

By the way neither of mine are the 3 prong FP or the 12/14 chamber but the true 14 ga. chamber.

ADDED:
    There is also a method of using a 16 gauge paper shell also. They need to be shortened and it is not the safest procedure in the world.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard of people using a "junk" single shot shotgun to fire form 50BMG into 12ga brass hulls.[B)]