In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First Bullseye shoot...

17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
I competed in my first Bullseye shoot last night at a local indoor Pistol Club. Most of my shooting has been from a bench or two-handed combat style. Shooting with one hand at 50' is certainly humbling.

The shoot was for .22 LR. I used a Ruger MKI Target (circa 1978) with a 6.875" barrel and Ruger made target grips. It has a Clark trigger and I used CCI "Quiet" 40 grain ammo. When it was all-said-and-done, I scored a 240 out of 300.

I actually shot better in the "timed fire" and "rapid fire" portions, as compared to the "slow fire" portion.

Looking forward to shottoing again on Wednesday. As my wife asked, "...another obsession?".

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Congrats on your first match 240 national match course is an 80 average
    Marksman class[^][:)]anything 85-89.9 is sharpshooter. The 50 foot target is the hardest. Outdoor at 50 yards and 25 Yards MUCH easier. The slow fire will come. Most early shooters try to make the shot perfect JUST mash the trigger when it is in the black don't look at target look at Sights. When you practice turn the target with target facing backward. "PLAIN white paper" then look at group size . Bet it is smaller then one shooting at the black bulls-eye. I have been shooting bulls-eye matches since 1965 Welcome aboard [^] feel free to double click om my user name and send me a email . I coach for free. LOL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perry ~ Thanks for the feedback and pointers. I used your advise from a few months ago when deciding on which gun to purchase. I'm sure I'll be looking you up for some more information. Thanks!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slow fire seems to be a problem for most shooters. For me it is timed and rapid that drove me nuts. I was shooting so fast the shots sounded like a machine gun!

If there is any chance you can take a Brian Zins bullseye clinic you will learn a LOT and if you practice see a marked improvement in your shooting.

Make sure you work with Perry Shooter; he may be old and skinny but he sure can shoot!!!!! His gift is not only being a top shooter but he can COACH with the patience of Job.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Slow fire seems to be a problem for most shooters. For me it is timed and rapid that drove me nuts. I was shooting so fast the shots sounded like a machine gun!

If there is any chance you can take a Brian Zins bullseye clinic you will learn a LOT and if you practice see a marked improvement in your shooting.

Make sure you work with Perry Shooter; he may be old and skinny but he sure can shoot!!!!! His gift is not only being a top shooter but he can COACH with the patience of Job.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot on Tuesday nights at our club. We have a 50' indoor range. Always shot the timed and rapid fire a little better. I think you just don't try to consentrate as much so dont' notice the shake [;)] My H-S Trophy sure was a tack driver when I did my part [^]
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found that I shoot better at a steady pace for all stages. People keep telling me to slow down on the slow fire, but if the sight picture is good and trigger control is good, why wait? If I pause, all I do is increase my "arc of error" and tire myself out.
    Doesn't work for others, but it works for me--in Bullseye and PPC.