In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Liquid Bullet Lube

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
How dry is dry enough to load lead bullets coated with Lee Alox liquid
Lube?
Do bases have to be cleaned to prevent contamination?
I relubed some old 45-200 knurled SWC bullets that leaded my 45 pretty badly.
The lube is also pretty old & came with bullet sizing kits. The lube wasn't thinned but poured about like thick sirup.
After a day drying, bullets are about as tacky as beeswax.

Comments

• Options
    rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heat your bullets in a metal coffee can right before you add the alox, you will need less alox and it will spread evenly and dry quickly
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Straight LLA takes about a geologic epoch to fully dry. Mix in a small amount of mineral spirits until it is about pancake syrup consistency. It'll dry overnight. You can also dust your tacky bullets with mica dust, baby powder, or even cornstarch (but NOT flour!) to alleviate the tackiness.

For an even better lube, mix LLA and Johnson's Paste Wax half and half over a gentle warmer (I use an electric candle warmer) and then add a very small amount of mineral spirits. Cast bullet guys call it the 45/45/10 lube; it dries overnight, isn't tacky, and is a superb lube.

You don't have to wipe the bullet bases unless you've used WAY too much lube. The lead should have only a faint yellowish-honey color, not be dark brown. When in doubt, use half as much lube as your last batch.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LLA doesn't dry--the Alox is oxidized calcium grease that was used for rust prevention like cosmoline and automotive under-coating.
    However, if you put the right of lube on the bullet (just enough so the just tumbled bullets look shiny/wet), there is no problem.
    The tacky bullet, back when I first started using it, never bothered me. I never had a problem with lube collecting on the seating stem or crimp die and the bullets were never exposed to the elements to make me concerned that the ammo would pick up lint/dust/dirt.
    I still do not understand the "fear" of tacky bullets when the targets look so good and lubing is so easy.
    The thing with LLA is: if you can see it on the bullet, you've used way more than needed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My worry was in the tacky stuff contaminating some powder giving erratic results, but after firing 50 I was pleased and loaded up what I had left.
    There was probably a bit much lube however, the surplus didn't collect anywhere and blew out the barrel.
    The big concern was in leading the Glock style rifling of the Kahr 45 which it didn't.
    Prior to regreasing these ancient bullets, leading was terrible.
    It took more time in cleaning than I care to put into it.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found that if I have leading with commercial lead bullets (which is almost always because the claimed bullet size is slightly greater than the received bullet size), a light tumble lube in LLA will solve the problem.
    Years ago, back when I actually had enough lead to cast my own, the cast bullet companies were much better at offering custom bullet sizes. I always thought that this had to be a real pain for them as they had to install a different sizing die for a small order. Back then, all I shot were my own as-cast bullets (either pan or tumble lubed, depending on the decade) and I am still tempted to order as-cast and non-lubed bullets so I can tumble lube them and not have the occasional order that contains bullets too small for best function/accuracy.
    The thing about LLA is that it will NOT melt if the rounds get hot sitting in the sun at the range. Bullets lubed in the grease groove with low melting lubes have been known to flow into the case and cause a lump of lube/powder that interferes with ignition.
    LLA isn't perfect (I think Recluse's 45/45/10 will be better, but I haven't mixed any up yet), but it is easy to use and does its job.
    If you get into lubing, you will learn that one of the "best" lubes for about 5-6 decades has been 50% beeswax and 50% Alox. This, however, is not the same Alox as in LLA but is an actual grease.
    For tumble lubing, I place about 500 bullets in a chafing or casserole dish and turn them all on their sides. I squirt a little LLA on them and shuffle them around like dominoes, except I also try to "spin" them so they get coated all around. After maybe 1 minute, max, I look at all the bullets. If they are all shiny/wet looking, I am done and I pour them out onto wax paper or aluminum foil. I do not bother to stand them up and there is so little lube on them that almost none sticks to the paper/foil.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LLA never worked for me as a stand alone lube, but I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with Minwax floor wax (mineral spirits optional) and that seems to work just fine. heat it with a hairdryer to liquify it and toss the bullets in.

If you heat the bullets, it'll go on "smooth" and like LLA.

"cold" the bullets will congeal it like more like the consistency of floor wax. I prefer the cold method as this gives it more "stick" to the bullets and the lube goes into the lube grooves during tumble lubing so no need to buy a lubrisizer.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Call me on my Cell your email through GunBroker does not work
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We've been out of town in the land of impossible permits for a few weeks
    and will return on monday.