In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Die Polishing

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
I wan told by a RCBS Technician that I could use some fine sand paper to clean the brass out of the interior of the sizing die. I called later and talked to another representative and he told me to send the die inn because the build up of brass on the surface can only be taken out by polishing. The service is free so it is not problem to ship it the RCBS. The question is that I looked at another die that is about the same age and I can see the build up of something just above the height of the cartridge. I clean the dies every time I use them. I would like to know if there is a way to stop this so I don't have bother RCBC and not have the scratches on the brass when I size?

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take an old .45-cal brush and wrap a patch or two around it. Smear some Flitz or JB Bore Paste on the patches. With the brush in a drill or power screwdriver, run the patch into the die. Run it until the die gets quite warm in your hand (two or three minutes), moving the patch slowly in and partly out as it spins.

Repeat if the die is really badly fouled. Then clean with bore solvent to remove any remaining polish.

Neither Flitz nor JB will change the dimensions of the die - unlike sandpaper, which WILL. But both will leave a mirror polish.

If you still have problems, you can always send it to RCBS.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    take paper towel make a small roll that will just fit in the die with all GUTS of the die removed. Wet towel with KROIL let set 48 hours then use bore brush that will fit and all deposits will come out y
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What case lube are you using? And what are you cleaning the dies with?
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the die apart, blast it out with brake cleaner, run a larger than diameter bronze brush through the die, wipe it out with a cotton rag.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ctg case lube you are using is completely inadequate. With proper lube, you should never get brass in the sizing die. Split a dowel and use crocus cloth and a drill to polish it out. SWITCH LUBE! Try 80-90 gear oil. It is cheap and is the perfect lube.