In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

5.56M SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
Would it be OK to use Wolf 5.56M SMALL RIFLE MAGNUM PRIMERS in standard .223 loads for an AR 15 (20" barrel 1/8 twist, 16" barrel 1/9 twist)?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use cci small mad primers with win 748 in the 223 rem.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use CCI small rifle mag primers in both the 5.56 and the .222. I use .5 grain below max and find no problems and excellent consistent ignition.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us know how those Wolf primers work. I saw them advertised but shied away from the brandname.
    When using CCI#41 (magnum rated) primers with military cases, I get similar velocity using .5 grain less powder than when using CCI standard small rifle(500?) primers.
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used nothing but Wolf and Tula (same thing) primers and they've all gone bang. Do a search and you'll see most everyone seems to like them.

Widener's has them on sale for $14 per thousand if you buy more than 5000. I'd like to see anyone beat that price.

And thanks to those who responded to my OP.

Gary
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've run thousands of those Wolf primers through AR's. They work just fine. They are very slightly larger than standard primers though so sometimes when seating them it looks like the primer gets a little flattened. Don't just keep pressing it in there. I taped a thin block of wood between my primer press body and the squeeze handle so as not to over-crush them. Also, make sure you have removed 100% of the crimp or they do ten to 'bunch up'

Anyhow, out of the thousands, I've only had one not go 'bang'.
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf primers/Tula primers go bang and work great in my AR. I also use Wolf small pistol primers and with a striker fired gun They are a bit on the hard side so they don't always work well. CCI pistol primers use to have a reputation of having a hard cup also. As long as your AR really smacks the firing pin you will be fine with them. I like Wolf/Tula primers and I really like the price.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SoreShoulder
    While magnum primers don't always raise pressure it would be a good idea to back off ten percent and then work up.

Speer reloading manuals should have a wealth of info on magnum primer loads because they feel ball powders should typically be used with magnums.

second.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use Remington 7 1/5, period.