In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New 2400 pistol powder

I ran out of Hercules 2400 and purchased the new 2400 produced by Alliant, excuse the spelling, and it burns alot hotter and the accuracy suffered in all my .44mags. I think the chemical compound is also different since it does not look the same. For some reason my old favorite loads had to be reduced at least 2 grains and they shot anywhere from 6ins.to a full 12 inches higher. Has anyone else had trouble with the newer version of the old 2400? I would love to find some Hercules 2400, but I think it is gone forever.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Newer version? I read that and thought, 'what, are they changing the formula?' I've been reloading for 12 years now and it's always been Alliant... when was Hercules last made the 80s?

But to answer your question... yes, it's commonly known that some of the newer formulations of old favorites are a tad different one way or the other. Check their website vs. your old load data, I bet you see a goo 1/2 to 1 grain difference on top loads for all the 2400 at a minimum.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your observation is correct. I use Hercules 2400 in several calibers of hunting revolvers. I was fortunate enough to gather a consequential supply of it and Hercules Blue Dot back in the mid-90s. I still have an adequate supply and like it better than Alliant's version.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I still have some 2400 I got in the mid '70,s. Used it in a lot of 44mag for deer [;)]
  • Options
    widowshooterwidowshooter Member Posts: 28
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the comments guys, I have to tell ya, if I knew that 2400 by Hercules was gonna be discontinued, I would have bought up at least 15-20lbs years ago.
    I do not like this new alliant 2400 and have a new 4lb keg..anywone want to trade me 2lbs.of Hercules for 4lbs of the Alliant?