In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308 vs 6.5x284

tone59tone59 Member Posts: 670 ✭✭
Which of these calibers would be the most suitable for 500-600yd target shooting from a non heavy barrel 7-8 lb.rifle.
Other caliber suggestions welcome.
None that kick harder than a 308.
I plan to compare one with a yet to be acquired 257 weatherby.

thank you.

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion- .308. The 6.5-284 better suited for a match gun, meaning reaching it's full potential and cost of reloading.

Unless you do something like this in a 6.5-284-http://www.eabco.com/9702.html
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 600 yards from that light a rifle, I would be shooting a .223 or one of the small 6mms like a 6BR.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tone59,

quote:I am not a hunter but would like to do some 500-600yd paper punching.

The king of short range target shooting these days is the 6BR or one of the variations 6BRX and 6 Dasher.

This is a mild but very accurate cartridge when the driver and his equipment are up to the task. Norma has target loads for the 6BR but you will want to reload to keep costs down and get the maximum enjoyment from the shooting.

Savage has 5 bolt action models chambered for this cartridge and one in particular which is nearly what you describe. Besides, if the 6BR doesn't pan out for you there is always the 6.5x284 barrels available for this rifle also.

Best.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'm old school; my vote is the 6.5 Swede. It will do anything the 6.5X284 will out to the ranges you state, and components are readily availalbe and cost effective. Though honestly the 308 is still completely competitive.

Mind you the 6Br is a fine cartridge, i've a few friends who have them, they are fun to shoot.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't 284 brass harder to find. Really old school 256 Newton or 6.5-06. I like 7mm08 too.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charliemeyer007,

quote:Isn't 284 brass harder to find.

Only if you're looking for .284 Winchester brass from Winchester. In there inimitable wisdom, Winchester has placed the .284 Win. brass on the 'seasonal' manufacturing list, which means that it gets produced once year and in one run. Once it's gone, it's gone until the next run.

Thanks to the companies like Norma, Lapua and Hornady though, we're able to get 6.5x284 brass ready to shoot. It's expensive but what brass isn't?

quote:Mind you the 6Br is a fine cartridge, i've a few friends who have them, they are fun to shoot.

Yes, and it holds every major record at 600 yards and a couple at 1,000 yards. I'm even shooting one version in an AR15 semi-auto target rifle.

Best.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 6BR rifle with a 8 twist barrel. It shoots like a laser beam with 105 A-Max bullets on down to even 58 grain pills. It equals the 243 but burns a lot less powder doing it.

A great thing is the 6BR case can also be used for the 22BR and 30BR.

I have a Encore barrel in 22BR caliber. It can shoot almost as fast as the 22-250 but burn 10 grains of powder less per shot doing it.

The same parent case can be necked up to 30 caliber creating the 30BR. I have it on my dream list and will get one as soon as I am back on my feet financially.

The barrel life on the 30BR is over 7,000 rounds in competition. It shoots 118-125 grain 30 caliber bullets into little tiny holes.

One case, three cartridges, what else could one ask for??
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59
    Which of these calibers would be the most suitable for 500-600yd target shooting from a non heavy barrel 7-8 lb.rifle.

thank you.
    To answer your question the 6.5x284 is more suited.
    BUT if I were you I would look into the 6.5 Creedmoor![^]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience, the 257 Wby has more recoil than a .308. Even with only 115 grain bullet, you're burning a LOT of powder which translates to some significant recoil. For a purely accuracy rifle, I wouldn't recommend the 257 Wby.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tone59

thank you.

First, the question hardly relates to the last statement. The .257 Wby is a great cartridge in it's own right, but not really top 500-600 yd. competition material.

Getting down to brass tacks. I'm assuming you will want a competition rifle. Rifles that aren't dialed in just become a frustration, because you can't accomplish with the rifle what you can see you need to do in your mind. That said, in a direct comparison, I think you will find the faster 6.5-.284 with better BC's on their bullets easier to shoot better scores with @ 500-600 yds. than a .308. You will also find there is a price to pay, and that is barrel life. The 6.5 wears out a lot faster than the .308. Both have decent match ammo made, but it's expensive. Reloading is the way to go for most anything, IMO.

As far as off the shelf paper punching, .260, .243 and 7mm-08 are all good. To get the most potential from any of them, you need to reload. .223 is an excellent cartridge also. It's the only one that might be economically feasible without having to reload. It's tougher to call in wind, but in any gusting wind, they all get much harder to call.

Moving to the newer/wildcat cartridges, the 6mmBR is the latest craze to hit the market. It's been around since around 1980 but really took off in the last five years due to the expanded interest in 6mm and especially the bullets now made in 6mm that optimize for long range shooting. I'm speaking of the 105gr., 107gr., 108gr., and 115gr., long, needle-like ogive bullets.
    As nononsense stated, these own almost all 300, 600 and a few 1000 yd. records. Very little recoil combined with a high efficiency bullet makes a very accurate rifle even more accurate in the hands of a shooter who doesn't react to recoil after long strings of fire from one. These and the 6mmXC/6mm Creedmoor are about a perfect a size case as you can get for the 6mm caliber. The .243 is a little bigger but in using more powder, creates more wear on the barrel. The .260 remains optimal for high BC bullets and speed. The 6.5 Creedmoor is about the same, has match ammo. When you get up toward the 7mm, you are starting to take a hit on velocity. But that is offset by even better BC's of the bullets, evening up the comparison a bit.
    That still all boils down to how well you learn to get out there and practice and get good at shooting that far.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    6.5 will slide thru the air smoooooooooooooth, & good to 1200yds . The 308 is good also, head weight & traj goes a long way ..

zero 200yds, same drop @ 500yds..down to preference.