In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mannlicher Schoenauer Replacement Sights?

spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
Does anyone know what sights (Lyman, Marble's, etc.) sights (rear and/or front) are replacements for the original Mannlicher Schoenauer (i.e., 1903 - MCA) sights?

Tried Numrich and they ended sending me something that looked like old Steyr military rifle sights definitely not Mannlicher Schoenauer sights.

Thank You

Comments

• Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman made a version of its #36 receiver peep sight that came attached to a replacement bolt release, and a cocking piece peep sight that attached to the factory cocking piece by milling a female dovetail slot in it. These sights were adjustable, but non-micrometer. These were discontinued MANY years ago.

Specialty old sight dealers,like Ken Bean,have these, but not often.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did the Lyman #36 require any metal or wood work to be properly fitted? I would like preserve the MS carbine's in its original condition.

Thank You
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only ever seen one of the Lyman receiver sights for the Mannlicher Schoenauer, but if I remember correctly, it replaced the bolt stop, and no wood work was required.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1965 Shooters Bible description of the #36 sight reads in part: "mounts on the bolt release and no drilling or tapping is required". No mention is made as to whether stock alterations are required. Incidently, at $16, that sight was the most expensive hunting sight Lyman offered in 1965--the #48 long slide was $14.50. I have several Mannlicher Schoenauers but have never seen a Lyman #36 sight. I think I saw a M-S with that sight on the auction side a while ago.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You for the additional info concerning fitting the Lyman #36 sight.

I have occasionally seen the Lyman #36 sights on ebay. They usually run close to $500 NIB.

Thanks Again