In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Steel plates and some questions

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
I'm interested in getting some steel knockdown targets for some "unorganized" shooting competitions. I'm new to shooting steel and have found some targets that are made from A36 grade steel and 3/8" thick. I would be shooting them with handgun calibers up to 44 mag (but mostly 45, 40, 9mm) from distances of > 40 feet. From what I have researched, A36 is a mild steel alloy and I'm wondering if these targets would be durable in the long run. Also worried about ricochets using jacketed bullets at these distances. Any help is appreciated! I could use the education [:I].
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is too thin for any jacketed round, it will soon bend and crater, cratering/bending will send shards back to you. T-1, AR400-500 are much better steels to use.

If you keep loads to mid range with lead bullets the steel you have will work but will still eventually cup and bend.
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks bpost. I'm seeing the AR500 targets but of course they are quite a bit more expensive. I won't mind paying up for them if they last longer.
    So going with a higher grade steel, is the 3/8" thick still considered too thin? What minimum thickness should I accept? In case it matters, the plates would be in the 4-6" size and maybe a couple 8-10" plates for longer shots.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The mild steel will hold up to lead bullets. We have three older traps that are T-1 and three that are mild. Thay are all set at 45`angle. The mild is holding up as good as the T-1. I've shot them with a 44mag at about 1400fps. Put yours at a angle so the bullet doesn't come back at you.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was checking into making my own steel targets just the other day and stopped by a local machine shop to see if they had any steel plate I could use. While talking with the counter guy I mentioned my purpose and the guy actually told me that he had tried the same thing with the steel the shop had on hand. It wouldn't hold up to a 243 at 200 yards.

He recommended AR plate as being much harder and more durable for shooting purposes.

Mild steel might be good enough for low power pistol shooting with lead bullets, but my advice would be to get the harder stuff in case you want to hit it with something heavier; it will always stand up to the pistol rounds after all.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using the steel for a knock down target the use of the AR steels is important to reduce back splash and ricochets. The hard surface of AR steels resists deforming under impact. The bullet literally melts itself on the surface.

If you set the steel at an angle, as suggested by DCS shooters you can use mild steels. The steeper the angle you have the softer the steel you can use.

It sounds like you want to use them for a knock down; with that in mind, spend a few extra bucks now to avoid issues later and enjoy a long service life from the targets.

If you can get old road grader blades they are AR steel, salt bath hardened and tough as can be. You can cut them with a plasma cutter forming the shapes you want from the steel available.

To test things out before committing to spending big bucks on something you don't like you could buy a sample of one or two of each and see what holds up best for your use.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a set of better steel plate targets to try. Mild steel doesn't last long..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=310959785

[:D]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 10"x10" mild steel plate that has been hanging for 5 years. It's beginning to show some bow in the back and has not been shot with jacketed bullets over 9mm or any 357/44 mag at all.
    There's always the possibility of bounce back when shooting steel. I had some 9mm GoldDot bullets land 50-100' behind where I was firing from last year when shooting some plates that got inadvertently tilted back at the top instead of tilted back at the bottom.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting mild steel plates with handguns for the last 20 years (from small autos to .45 colt-.454 Casull/.44 magnums, etc) . I would go to the local metal yard and buy them from the remnant pile for cheap. They last for a few sessions (maybe) then are a dimpled mess only suitable for scrap. This is when they're dangerous, because the uneven surface increases the chance they'll send decent sized chunks of lead back at you. (Rifle rounds just whistle right through this stuff, too)

Abrasion Resistant (AR) 500-550 steels are the way to go. Yeah, they'll cost more, but they'll last much, much longer than mild steel will..and be safer to boot. There's a reason these steels are used in mining equipment and dump truck beds, etc., it's tough stuff. 3/8" AR 500-550 plate will last for a very long time with handgun rounds. I have two AR 500 (10" circles) that have a few surface scratches from dozens of sessions of.45 FMJ and .44 mag loads. Just re-paint and fire away.

I went overboard last time and made 2 IPSC-type silhouettes from 1/2" AR 500. They're heavy, so I hang them with chain to a metal frame with a forward cant so the impacting round is deflected downwards. The plate that I cut these two from cost me about 140 bucks, which is waaaay more than the 45-50 the same size in 1/2" mild would've run. But it should last me forever with handguns, and for a long time at lengthy distances with AR-15's (non penetrator rounds only).

Be safe with your placement and backstop, wear your lenses and make sure everyone around (non shooters) are, too, and have a good time. Nothing's better than instant feedback!
  • NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no metalurgist but have been shooting at falling plats for quite a while now. Spend the money and get good steel. At one range someone built their own racks out of mild steel and at least once a month one would break during a match. They were always having to mess and fix it in someway. The other range bought some good ones, they weren't cheap, about $2k for a set of two and only one plate has broke in two years. The replacement plate cost over $100 but the rack endures at least 15k or so rounds each month. There is a new company that makes plate racks, targets, and falling poppers with lifetime guarantees. I would look into getting those. At all the plate competitions I shoot at they do not allow full power.357mag, 44mag, or 10mm.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. Lots of good info to consider!
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be prepared to store even good hard steel targets off the range.
    Else somebody will shoot them full of holes with AP or Magnumbs from close range.
    At least that is what they did here. Pure vandalism.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +10 on taking them home unless you want some * to ruin them.. or worse take them home for himself.

When you're 4-5-6 hundred bucks into numerous targets (and up if you don't make them yourself), coming back to find they're swiss cheese stinks.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.qualitytargets.com/servlet/StoreFront

best price you'll find on AR500 targets for the DIY guy.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=1020

Found some affordable AR plates with holes already drilled in a variety of thicknesses, designs, and sizes.

you're welcome.
    edited November -1
    These are the lowest cost AR500 knockdowns I've found. Might have to order up a set and try them out.
    http://www.mfrmetals.com/store/products/knockdown-plates/
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    These are the lowest cost AR500 knockdowns I've found. Might have to order up a set and try them out.
    http://www.mfrmetals.com/store/products/knockdown-plates/

Those prices aren't too bad, I may have to try some too