In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tumbled Brass

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
I have tumbled brass using corn and rice and have found the brass comes up clean.......but not polished. The brass I tumble is outdoor range brass. I thought that I may have dirt in it causing the dullness, so I change the material to find the same thing happening. I then thought the bowl may be the cause ( from being stratched on the inside). I sanded the inside of the bowl with 220 sandpaper to remove any inperfections. I tumbled again using a polishing agent and still dull, clean brass. What the heck am I doing wrong? help

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    After cleaning the brass what is the best way of keeping them shiny and from tarnishing?
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    After cleaning the brass what is the best way of keeping them shiny and from tarnishing?

There are quite a few good responses to your identical post in the "Ask the Experts" forum...I suggest you read some of them [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the suggestion, I had to post there because I couldnt get any reponses in the reloading forum. I have read them all and some are very good.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try zip loc storage bags! I've had good results long term storing polished brass in the zip sealed, zip loc freezer bags.

I stay away from cardboard boxes!
    The old cardboard shell boxes such as the old winchester types will tarnish brass or reloaded brass rapidly.
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ever buy some new brass, most come in nice thick resealable zip lock type bags. I almost threw them away and then I thought I should hang onto them just for this very reason.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just put a dab of Mothers Cleaner/Wax in my tumbler . I store my brass in the big plastic coffee cans , with a desicant bag or two , in each one .