In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who makes the best case trimmer?

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
What case trimmer does everyone prefer. I know they have different ways and shell holders required to hold cases depending on what you get. What's the easiest and most convenient to use that does a good job?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like my Lyman. It is set up to use a power drill or screwdriver. I have also used the Lee trimmer.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've trimmeed thousands of cases with a LEE and actually wore a couple of the case length guages down to where they were trimming way too short. It became too difficult and stressful for my hands. I switched to a Forster driven by a cordless drill. I keep the shaft lubed with wheel bearing grease but sooner or later it will wear either the shaft or more likely the housing($10 part).
    I trim more cases in a single winter than most users will in a lifetime so normal use would not be a problem.
    If money was no problem and I was starting fresh, I'd look hard at one of the self powered trimmers with a cutter head that chamfers as it cuts.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Case trimming dies are handy. They also give repeatable results, something I like.

For doing more than 20 or so I use the Forrester trimmer and it works fine but I do find a .001-.003 difference in the finished length..

Dillon has a power trimmer is you REALLY want to get serious about trimming. That sucker is a dream.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "best" is probably the Giraud.

But when these "best" questions get asked, it's impossible to know what the questioner means by best. Highest Quality? Fastest to use? Easiest to use? Cheapest? Most expensive? Most accessories included? Fewest accessories needed?

Beats me.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Lyman , but it's really a matter of preference or brand loyalty !
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my RCBS. Very repeatable results. But, it's not a power set-up. I have three holes where I run the screws holding it into my workbench. It's set up for ergonomic ease of use for a couple hundred at a time. So, I don't get too much hand or shoulder strain while doing it. Doing a thousand or so, might be a different story.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forester, hand powered. It works, and have not had any issues with using it.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My vote goes to the Wilson. The shell holder holds the brass perfectly square to the cutter and gives EXACT trim length every time. Handle can be powered or manual.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Dillon electric trimmer. It resizes and trims in the same step saving time. It's available in a bunch of calibers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the RCBS unit with the power attachment (motor). I get results that are repeatable right down to the .001"
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just found a Lyman universal with no parts. So I figured out and got what I needed. I like it a lot. I been loading only a couple years. The Lee hand case pilots didn't catch my eye and I made one for each caliber out of threaded rod and nuts and assorted parts. The Lee hand cutters were used thou. They worked great and I trimmed many 1000's of every case, but 9mm. Wasn't easy[:D]