In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder measure concern

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
Back to reloading some 357 SIG.

Trying to use a Lee Auto disk to meter the powder charges.

Chart shows that disk .82 (.87 cc) should meter a charge of 10.1 gr of Blue Dot.

Weigh that charge metered by that disk and find its under 9 gr.

Change to 1.02 disk and it meters a charge of 10.3 gr of Blue Dot.

Verified that the scale by weighing known weight items (a 35 gr and a 45 gr projectile). Scale is right.

WTH?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    powder, like guns, can varry quite a bit. you are metering 'volume' and trying for weight. I would trust your scale more than the measure.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty usual.
    Lee measures nearly always deliver short. I figure they allow only a minus tolerance on cavity sizes to protect loaders who depend on the chart instead of a scale. Maybe with a negative safety margin to start with so as to guard against variations in powder density.

Go by actual weight, not the chart.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you load the Blue Dot check with the tech desk at Alliant. I had been using Blue Dot for all my .357 Sig loads then it disappeared from the manuals. They told me they no longer recommend its use in the Sig and sent me a pound of Unique to compensate for my trouble in tearing down 1,000 loaded rounds.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

Went with 3N37.

The cavity dropped charges that were a whole lot closer to what they were supposed to be. 8.3gr under 124gr Golden Saber.

Done with them, now to reload some FiveSeveN.