In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

making shot

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Can shotgun shot be made like pistol bullets?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone make their own shotgun shot? Will the shot turn out fairly round? Thanks for any infomation.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    LARGE BUCK SHot can be made in a mold like pistol bullets however small bird shot needs special equipment. look up SHOTMAKER
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe commercial shot is made by pouring molten lead over a perforated panel and the lead drips through this and then falls several tens of feet into a water tank. The long fall is to allow the lead to become spherical before it hits the water and cools. It is then sorted by size.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I believe commercial shot is made by pouring molten lead over a perforated panel and the lead drips through this and then falls several tens HUNDREDS of feet into a water tank. The long fall is to allow the lead to become spherical before it hits the water and cools

FIXED IT FOR YOU[:D] shot 'towers' are several hundred feet tall
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peddler,

The current process:

The Bliemeister method, named for inventor Louis Bliemeister, is a process for making lead shot in small sizes. In this process, metered molten lead is dropped approximately 1 in (2.5 cm) into hot water, rolled along an incline and then dropped another 3 ft (91 cm). The water temperature controls the cooling rate of the lead, while the surface tension brings the ball into a spherical form.

The tallest shot tower:

The tallest shot tower ever built in Australia still stands in the Melbourne, Australia suburb of Clifton Hill. This brick structure was built in 1882 and is 160 ft (49 m) high.

shottowercliftonhillmel.jpg

The Jackson Ferry Shot Tower, located in Wythe County, Virginia began construction around the end of the Revolutionary War in this rural area. It was built of stone with walls almost a meter (2.5 feet) thick, as it was not practical to use brick in that region for such a large structure. The 23 meter (75 foot) tower was built at the edge of a cliff and utilized a subterranean shaft of the same length to double the overall height the lead would drop.

In 1855-56, the architect James Bogardus built two shot towers in Lower Manhattan, the 175-foot McCullough Tower on Centre Street and the 217-foot Tapham Tower on Beekman Street. Both structures were demolished in the first decade of the 20th century.

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best known machine for short drop birdshot is the Littleton Shotmaker.
    http://www.littletonshotmaker.com/
    http://littletonshotmaker.com/index1.html
    http://magmaengineering.com/products/littleton-shotmaker-model-65/

I am sure there are DIY approaches.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I may try to make some shot soon.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    West Coast Shot has a plant outside Carson City, Nv. They also use a large water tower too make it.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    West Coast Shot has a plant outside Carson City, Nv. They also use a large water tower too make it.

In Mound House, where all the cathouses are.... What were you doing there Riomouse?[;)][:D][:D][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Better Shot Maker, bettershotmaker.org, & I love it. Can make about 100 lbs. of shot in 90 min.