In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun reloading

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Any options on best reloading press for 16 and 20 gauge shotgun?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am looking into doing my own reloading for my .12ga and was woundering if anyone can point me in the right direction for a reloading press and all that. And some books would be great!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After the equipment is bought and paid for and the hulls accumulated-How much would it cost to reload a box of 20 ga trap loads. I can buy loaded rounds for $3.50 a box right now. I just bought a new gun and probably will put about 1000 rnds a year through it. What can I expect to load a box of light trap loads 20 ga for?
    Dave
  • Options
    coop359coop359 Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peddler
    Any options on best reloading press for 16 and 20 gauge shotgun?
    A MEC 600 jr is a fine reloader for both
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've alway used the MECs, but for 20 and 12 gauge.

I have a Sizemaster for my 20 as I don't shoot 20's as much, but I do have multiple 20 gauges shotguns.

I have a Grabber that is progressive because I shoot a lot of 12 gauge with multiple shotguns.

Both have resizers which compress the shells back to factory dimensions. If you don't have an O/U or more than one shotgun in the gauges, then you may not need the resizing function.

Both have done over tens of thousand of shells without any failure.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 20 ga MEC grabber I bought used. Works great. Also have a grabber in 410. I shoot the 410 the most. Have a 600 jr in 12 ga & 410. They are fine reloading presses. If you are just starting ut reloading I would advise using the 600 jr single stage press untill you realy are comfortable with what you are doing before going to a progressive press.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a Mec sizemaster in both gauges and it does a wonderful job.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have run all kinds, most seem to work fine if adjusted properly. The magazine tube on my Ithaca 37 is a much tighter fit than my Remington 870's. Even low base stuff that had been shot in loose double's would cause problems with the 37'sl, the solution was the collet case sizer from MEC. I have 3 Pacific's DL 166 ? and the mec sizer.

Check your bushing with a scale. Technique and consistency in operation will go a long way towards uniform loads.
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    MEC's work great. But, you have to make it work great (setting and adjusting). And the price is right. JMO