In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gas check or not in 44-40 ?

chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
Trying to decide on a mould for 44-40. I'm building a 24 inch rifle, and looking for ideas on a close range deer load. Planning to cast and wondering if I should get a mould that casts a flat base or not. Thanks for any suggestions !

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it matter much. Plain base are cheaper and less work. Perhaps try some cast bullets of various makes and design first. Diameter and lube along with hardness will be a factor too. I have a single lyman 42798 in case I ever needed to shoot as cast in my 44 mags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44-40_Winchester
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends how fast you want to shoot them. Under 1400 fps with a hard alloy, proper fit (1-2/1000 over bore diameter) and good lube, you don't really need one. As all loads I can find for this cartridge are under that threshold, I don't see the need. NOW that said, I have found the occasional freak that for some reason leads when I do everything else right, and a gas check helps. I'd say don't bother with one.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, for your advice. I think I will get a plain base and keep it simple. [:)]