In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Reloader

SteveM74SteveM74 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
I am new to reloading and recently read something that said a person should not reload when it is raining outside due to the humidity difference. My place where i relaod is in the house where temperature is pretty much constant so should i worry if its raining outside or not?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    So for Christmas I received the Rock Chucker Supreme kit and cannnot wait to get reloading! However, before I press round one I am going to become good friends w the reloaders manual (Speer manual).I understand the process and know it is a matter of taking your time and being consistent to work up a load for a gun.

In the meantime I would like to get my brass cleaned up so when I am ready I have that part ready to roll.

My question on cleaning with a vibratory tumbler is what media to use and how long on a batch do you let it go? I have ordered a Cabelas branded tumbler that is on the way as I type!
    Thanks in advance to the great people of GB!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just won an auction for the Hornady Lock and Load kit on the auction side. I've been kicking the idea around for a couple years and finally decided to get started.

I read Bposts sticky so I'm probably going to order the abc's of reloading book tonight.

With the kit I have is there anything else (tool wise) that I will need to get started? I know I need dies and the components. I'm not sure what caliber I will start with. Is it better to start with pistol or rifle? I'm thinking maybe .357 or 44 mag. I have revolvers and rifles in both calibers.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like advice on buying a starter kit to get back into reloading. I use to reload some years ago, just mainly pistol ammo with a Lee press. Would like to get back into it and do some pistol and rifle rounds.[:)]
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Corn cob or walnut shell works well, but sometimes leaves dust residue on the brass which can lead to scoring the outside of the brass when sizing. White rice works very good & doesn't have as much residue problem. As far as time, run untill you get the desired look you want. Usually 30-60 min.
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you going to be reloading? Rifle or pistol, or both. This subject came up a while back and some of the * rifle loaders use a wet tumbler [I think its called a Thumbler] and they use stainless media and some type of agent [lemon and simple green]. It works well inside and out. Rifle brass usually takes a bit more prep.
    I also use white rice. Its dirt cheap, you can always find it, and for me lasts years. I reload about a thousand rounds a month and I have concluded that "clean" is "enough" for pistol reloading. Walnut and corncob works great too but can be pricy in small amounts. I have never had scoring on the outside of pistol cases with carbide dies. Experiment and find what you like.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Corn cob for light duty polishing/cleaning and walnut for heavy tarnished brass. Time wise, it takes what it takes.[:D] P.S. Cheap Rice will work in a pinch.[:)]
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've got a nice press & sounds like you have a plan.

What you going to reload?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambambam
    You've got a nice press & sounds like you have a plan.

What you going to reload?

To start I have a set of dies for .270 wsm. But want to do .223, 30-06, .270 win, .243. Its what we have between myself and dad. So we are planning for the future!
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nordicwargod
    What are you going to be reloading? Rifle or pistol, or both. This subject came up a while back and some of the * rifle loaders use a wet tumbler [I think its called a Thumbler] and they use stainless media and some type of agent [lemon and simple green]. It works well inside and out. Rifle brass usually takes a bit more prep.
    I also use white rice. Its dirt cheap, you can always find it, and for me lasts years. I reload about a thousand rounds a month and I have concluded that "clean" is "enough" for pistol reloading. Walnut and corncob works great too but can be pricy in small amounts. I have never had scoring on the outside of pistol cases with carbide dies. Experiment and find what you like.

I use a Thumlers with ss media for wet tumbling, and I am FAR from *. It is the best, as it is quick, thorough, economical ( no replacement media needed),and quiet. I do my smokeless cases 1/2 hour, and my black powder cases 1 hour, and all is well.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Real shiny in vibratory = Walnut, then corn or rice with "Flitz" (best there is).

Nice = Walnut with some type of spray cleaner.

OK, we don't care what it looks like, it is clean and loads and shoots well = Walnut

If you want the inside super clean on rifle wash in a vinegar solution, dry, and then as above.

Time = 1 hour to several days. Until you like them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Real shiny in vibratory = Walnut, then corn or rice with "Flitz" (best there is).

Nice = Walnut with some type of spray cleaner.

OK, we don't care what it looks like, it is clean and loads and shoots well = Walnut

If you want the inside super clean on rifle wash in a vinegar solution, dry, and then as above.

Time = 1 hour to several days. Until you like them.

What does your vinigar solution consist of?
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    50/50 vinigar/water is what I used to use when they get dirty.

My once fired I just wipe with water solutable muzzle loader cleaner.

After a reload or two they dirty around the neck.

I bought a Ultrasonic cleaner to clean brass with now. Does pocket, inside & out.