In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LC 71 Match Brass

pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
I found some loaded LC 71 Match the other day. I was going to toss them but I thought the brass might still be OK so I pulled the bullets. What is your opinion on using 41 year old new brass?

Comments

• Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume they were handloads? Otherwise, why pull the bullets? Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the cases. They all had a neck anneal so are not prone to splitting. I've used GI brass that's a lot older than 1971.

OTOH, if they were reloads, you'd have to consider how many times they may have been reloaded, whether they were hot loads, and what sort of rifle they were fired in.

OTOH, OTOH, 7.62mm brass is relatively common so it doesn't have much of a premium, even when new.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really old brass that had mercury primers or not cleaned black powder residue are problems.

I have ammo and brass loaded from the late 70 when I got out of the army. Still good. Have some Remington Golden bullet 22 LR from the 60's that is way better than most of the crap they sell these days.

In the late 60's I shot up a shoe box of loose ammo marked IIRC 1918 Olympic Match that had a hang fire of like 7 seconds.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just loaded some 30-06 brass from 1910 last night. I got a bag of 500 from an antique store for 5 dollars in 2001. Using light cast lead loads and neck sizing, very few have failed, and all that have failed have been harmless neck cracks. 1971 isn't even slightly vintage in my book.
  • Options
    pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wasn't reloads. The reason I pulled the bullets was to reload with 168 gr SMKs & 44 grs of RE15 to feed my AR-10. Thanks for the info.

Kirk out.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't ask for my opinion but here it is anyway.

It's too late now but the original Match ammo was loaded with IMR 4895. Simply pulling the bullet and replacing it with a SMK would have resulted in "Mexican Match" which was the first choice of shooters in those days. The bullet makes all the difference, not the powder.

And, have you shot 44 grains of Re 15 before? That's a warm load to start with and Re 15 is noted for it's sensitivity to temp changes. But, I'm sure you know what you're doing.

End of opinions.

Ray