In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new shotshell reloader

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Just thanking about reloading for a 20 gauge and was wondering if it is worth it? I know you can not save much if any but will do for a hobbie, I reload pistol and revolver now. What about a cheap Lee, or would it be better with a Mec? Would have to start from scrach with all components. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I loaded 20ga for hunting on a Mec. When I stopped I sold it. I still have a 12ga Mec. They can be had for reasonal prices used.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gave my Pacific 20ga. away, still have 3 for 12 ga. I have owned and used about 20 different shotgun press, The Lee load all press isn't one them, but I do have the deluxe hand tool.

Got a trap range near by, good place to ask around and look on the bulletin boards for a used one.

The newer AA's marked HS will not take the wads for old style AA's.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a NOS Pacific 20ga press that I'd put on the auction site for you.

I only reload 12ga.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've used the Lee press. Honest opinions:

1. It DOES make servicable ammo.

That's about the only positive.

Negatives:
    1. SLOW as molassas. If you plan on loading more than a box a month, get the MEC or something.
    2. Crimp stations leave MUCH to be desired. About 3 to 5 per box just crush, rather than crimp, on once fired hulls. In other cases the crimp opens up an hour or so after loading, it isn't pressed in place that well by the machine.
    3. Leaks powder like a sieve.
    4. No way to empty of powder or shot without turning the whole unit upside down and plugging one side or the other.

Like I say, it DOES work, but is hardly anything great.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Don't waste your time, for the $30-50 a used MEC 600 jr. will cost buy that.

As to the cost to reload 20 ga., hardly worth it. For target loads wait for a sale and buy in bulk for about the same cost as reloading. Hunting and special loads are worth reloading.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several MEC presses, some I've bought new some used. They all work great. The biggest problem I've had is with the smaller guages like 410 & 28. They tend to be a little more tidious as far getting the machine adjusted right. The MEC 600 is a good one to start with & stay with unless you are going to get into volume reloading. Keep your eye open on the auction side, there are some good deals on there on used ones some times. I have a MEC 600 Jr, & Grabber in 20 ga & love them both. The Grabber has a better resizer. I find that I can get a few more reloads out of a hull with that resizer on the Grabber. If you shoot at a range, 20 ga hulls seem to be plentiful.