In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Let's Talk Barrels

I have never purchased a barrel before but will have to do so as part of my upcoming 6.5-06 AI project. Here's the question:
Which Name do YOU prefer in barrels....and why?

I'd also be appreciative of some recommendations for barrel length and twist-rate for the 6.5-06, shooting heavy-for-caliber(VLD)bullets.

As always, Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Brownell's stocks Shilen barrels in most popular calibers / contours. I have used a lot of these, and I like them. I also like not waiting months for my barrel.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    Brownell's stocks Shilen barrels in most popular calibers / contours. I have used a lot of these, and I like them. I also like not waiting months for my barrel.

Thanks for the reply...I have a friend who SWEARS by Shilen.
    I was hoping people would tell me something about the process of mfg or metallurgy of their favorite barrel(s), rather than just saying "I like blah-blah".....
    Waiting for a quality barrel is not an issue for me, but I can see where it might be with others
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Well, Wanted, there are 100 different opinions on barrels. Certain manufacturers are almost "trendy". Seems like some get a lot of great press for a while, then somebody new comes along.
    This I can just about guarantee: Buy a barrel from a BENCHREST level manufacturer. Stainless Steel. Choose the proper contour & twist rate. It will be all you want it to be. There are no bad benchrest barrel manufacturers or styles. Don't get sucked into the trendy rifling forms, I don't deny they work, but standard form rifling has set many, many records.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bartlein
    Krieger
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890

Thanks for the reply...I have a friend who SWEARS by Shilen.
    I was hoping people would tell me something about the process of mfg or metallurgy of their favorite barrel(s), rather than just saying "I like blah-blah".....
    Waiting for a quality barrel is not an issue for me, but I can see where it might be with others

wanted man,

As you probably already know, a cut rifled barrel is done by cutter mounted on the end of a mandrel. The riflings are kept true by the mandrel (shaft) riding on the lands (original bore) as it is being cut. Many passes are made to cut each 'groove' to the depth and width that is needed. Each groove is also cut separately. In the case of the Bartlein barrel with the 5R rifling, each land is shaped differently on one side than the other, yet all lands are shaped the same as each other. The many angled cuts allow the lands to get the best grip on the bullet to rotate it as necessary, but on the backside reducing friction. Initially the thought was to gain some speed by reducing friction, but what was found that because it also lessened the imprint on the bullet, accuracy was gained.

In a button rifled barrel a slug (button) is pulled through the barrel with the shape of the lands grooves cut opposite on it. It takes a couple/few passes with increasing sized buttons being pulled through the bore to get the correct shape. As you can imagine the steel inside the bore is compressed somewhat and the bore gets slightly larger as the process wears on. The displacement of metal creates some stress than when it gets hot, relieves itself, causing warpage. Processes are done during the manufacturing to relieve this. And because some warpage is caused, there is another process to alleviate stress. And still another process to straighten out the barrels. When Shilen gets done with this process they have an outstanding {edit:}barrel. I think their quality control is outstanding throughout these processes. That is why I like Shilen on my rifle, and don't have to worry with the barrel getting {edit:} hot and dirty. I don't pay for the more expensive cut rifled barrels but get good quality (meets my needs) and don't have to wait for the high demand barrels.
    Added: Again, though, I'm not competing at a high level.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will be needing a 1:8 twist tube. Both my 6.5-06AI and 6.5x55AI are 8 twist.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior (and Justin) thanks for the input!