In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Herters Dies

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
When I started reloading in the late '50's, I bought Herters stuff since it was so much cheaper than anything else. For example, RCBS dies were $13.50 and Herters were $5 +/-; Herters heavy cast iron C press was $14. The quality was a bit rustic but the stuff worked OK. I have since given most of the Herters stuff away for others to get started on. Most of my stuff now is RCBS.

Recently, while looking through a 1963 American Magazine, I noticed there were three outfits advertising what looked like the same reloading stuff at similar prices. There were Herters, Wells, and Ruhr-American all located in Minnesota. I know I had some Ruhr-American dies and my 6.5 Jap dies are marked Wells. I'm wondering, since Herters did not manufacture anything, where this reloading stuff came from. Seems a coincidence that all these outfits were in Minnesota. Was there a factory in Minnesota that made this stuff or did these outfits branch off from one another?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some Herters dies. I learned on the cast iron Super C. My older sister used Lackmiller dies on that press to load 12 gauge for Dad's pass shooting doves. I made up a dozen or shell holder adapters so the Herters would take rcbs style shell holders. A few years ago someone wanted to give me one of those big c. I didn't take it.

I think the Herters dies I have look more like CH products.