In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 & 30-06 reloading

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
Can i use the same powder for both calibers?

I would use large rifle primers correct?

Any .30 caliber bullet would be ok??

Which powder would be best for both rounds?

I have the brass, so I should size and deprive first. Then tumble and trim. Primer and powder then bullet?

I have about 100 06 cases and 40 .308. So I wAs hoping I could load them the same, maybe less powder in the .308 (just guessing).

Am I on the right track?? Don't want a weak load or a hot load. Just Plinking ammo for garand and m1a

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have alot of research and learning to do before you get started! Get a good reloading book and read it, then start doing searches on those subjects you mentioned.
    In a nutshell for the same results with both of these you would need a little more powder in the 30-06 with the same type of powder for them to be equal, and for those type of rifles you have to stay within some parameters. For example the Garand can be damaged by using too hot of a load, or too slow of a powder as it was designed for a basic military load. Powders have really evolved since the late 30s.
    There is quite a bit of information out there especially on this forum.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a can of IMR4895.

Standard large rifle primers are correct.

Find some 150 gr. .308 diameter FMJ bullets or 168 gr. match .308 dia. bullets.

Get several reloading manuals and READ. The Lyman is a good one. There are also powder and bullet manufacturers web sites that will give you reloading recipies tailored to your GI rifles. As has been said; Those rifles are designed for a specific pressure range. IMR4895 powder will fit that requirement.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall

I have the brass, so I should size and deprive first. Then tumble and trim. Primer and powder then bullet?

I have about 100 06 cases and 40 .308. So I wAs hoping I could load them the same, maybe less powder in the .308 (just guessing).

Am I on the right track?? Don't want a weak load or a hot load. Just Plinking ammo for garand and m1a

As others have recommended, I suggest you do some READING before getting started. That being said, I also recommend that you tumble/clean your brass FIRST, this will minimize contaminating and/or damage to your dies from dirty brass.....Generally speaking -895 is a good powder for the .308 Win. "class" of cases...Good luck in your endeavors [:)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, but not all powders will be ideal in both. Varget or 4895 would be a good place to start.
    Yes.
    Yes, with suitable loads; that said those in the 130 to 180 gr range are likely to be best in both.
    Impossible to say; whatever shoots best in your gun. See above for two good starting suggestions.
    I have the brass, so I should size and deprive first. Then tumble and trim. Primer and powder then bullet?Tumble to remove dirt, then lube, size, trim (I check with a caliper to see if they need it first) then tumble again to remove lube, then prime, charge, and seat. You can skip the second tumble if you want to wipe down each round with a paper towel or rag and are careful not to get any in the case mouth.

I have about 100 06 cases and 40 .308. So I wAs hoping I could load them the same, maybe less powder in the .308 (just guessing). Normally a smaller capacity case will take a lighter load for a given bullet weight. Generally a 308 load would be safe in the 06, but as it isn't to optimal pressure, accuracy might suffer. The opposite is true- you can't stuff an 06 load in a 308, bad things might happen.

Am I on the right track?? Don't want a weak load or a hot load. Just Plinking ammo for garand and m1a Read up, watch youtube videos, ask lots of questions. Reloading is easy enough but it's an exact process, especially for semi autos. Now that I see what you want to reload, I'd suggest 150 to 168 gr bullets and Varget as optimal for both- but charges WILL differ.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have a reloading manual,GET ONE NOW.
    If you have a manual, READ IT NOW.
    Most all manuals have all the factoids written in their pages.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK I am back, Jonk thanks for the perfect reply.

I have decided not to buy the equipment but rather use a relatives and just buy the dies for it. This will save a load of money. He also has all the manuals recommended. I am going to pick them up this weekend.

Completely understand that a 308 load in a 06 would be weak. And vice versa would be hot, possible way too hot a load. But if I can find a decent universal powder with everything else being the same other than powder load, then I should be good to go.

I am actually considering dumping the .308's so keep your eye's peeled there may be a give away.

Where can I find affordable bullets. I have read others talking about military pulled bullets. Where do you find those?

Is a 7.62x39 bullet the same as a 7.62x51 or 63?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does a heavier bullet = harder recoil?

Modern hunting rounds are too much for the garand? We have a few dozen misc 30-06. Not a good idea to shoot these in the garand?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Does a heavier bullet = harder recoil?

Modern hunting rounds are too much for the garand? We have a few dozen misc 30-06. Not a good idea to shoot these in the garand?

In general, yes; however it all depends how fast the bullet is driven. A 168 gr and a 150 gr driven at the same speed, for instance- yes the heavier bullet has more felt recoil. Same bullet but with the 168 gr running slower, about the same. Action/reaction, right?

You shouldn't shoot hunting loads in a Garand unless you have an adjustable gas plug. It isn't about the pressure they produce (the M1 can handle that) but too much gas from incorrect powder types running down the gas port and bending the long thin op rod. Now hunting BULLETS themselves- soft points that is- can be run in the M1 just fine if proper powder is used in the right amount.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To answer your question about 7.62x39 vs 7.62x51...
    NO. The x39 uses a bullet that is .312 in diameter and the x51 and x63 use a bullet that is .308 in diameter.

As for where to find bullets...
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327570051
  • Options
    distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    OK I am back, Jonk thanks for the perfect reply.

I have decided not to buy the equipment but rather use a relatives and just buy the dies for it. This will save a load of money. He also has all the manuals recommended. I am going to pick them up this weekend.

Completely understand that a 308 load in a 06 would be weak. And vice versa would be hot, possible way too hot a load. But if I can find a decent universal powder with everything else being the same other than powder load, then I should be good to go.

(With most powders this would be downright dangerous!)

I am actually considering dumping the .308's so keep your eye's peeled there may be a give away.

Where can I find affordable bullets. I have read others talking about military pulled bullets. Where do you find those?

Is a 7.62x39 bullet the same as a 7.62x51 or 63?
    (abosisterely not one is 0.308" and one is 0.311-0.312" in diamter plus many of the X39s have a copper washed STEEL jacket which is very hard on barrels, Lucky gunner wrote an article about this recently. I will post a link if I can find it.)