In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Alliant AMERICAN SELECT?

andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
I found a reasonably priced source for this powder. It is advertised primarily for shotgun use. But, as with many shotgun powders, it is also useable for handgun cartridges. Does anyone here have any experience using it for that purpose?
I reload most of the most common handgun rounds and might be interested in trying it.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you checked lately? Available, reasonable not for long I'd bet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just checked. Still available. I'm just always cautious about starting up with an unfamiliar powder. I've used 2400, Red Dot, Unique, and Promo. I've never used American Select before. I may just go ahead and get it and put it on the shelf for emergencies. I still have plenty of the others but can't find replacement supplies for them. If I don't like it in my handguns, I can always sell it to a shotgun reloader.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my detailed but as yet unpublished article on loading the 44 Special, I discovered one powder at one charge weight that worked extremely well with ANY bullet from 180 to 240 grains - swaged, cast, plated, or jacketed. Accurate, clean, and good velocity across the board, it is now my one and only load for the 44 Special.

That load is 6.0 of American Select.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    In my detailed but as yet unpublished article on loading the 44 Special, I discovered one powder at one charge weight that worked extremely well with ANY bullet from 180 to 240 grains - swaged, cast, plated, or jacketed. Accurate, clean, and good velocity across the board, it is now my one and only load for the 44 Special.

That load is 6.0 of American Select.

And I thank you sir for that response. Exactly the information I was hoping to find. Guess I'll give it a try. [:)]