In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suppressed Load Recommendations

Thing #2 (younger Son) is all hot and bothered to find the "perfect" suppressed load for his Glock .40; says he needs a load stout enough to consistently work the slide, but as quiet as possible...I think he mentioned 180 )?( gr bullets. Sounds like a reasonable request to me, but I don't shoot .40 OR suppressed, so I thought I'd ask around here...
Suggestions??

Thanks in advance, y'all [;)]

Comments

• Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would expect anything loaded to under 1000fps should work well for him. There are several light loads in several loading manuals that should make it easy to achieve.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a balancing act that goes on when a pistol is suppressed and expected to function. Your son is correct in that enough recoil pulse is needed to overcome the inertia of the recoil spring, barrel and slide plus the additional weight of the suppressor. It would be easier to do with a heavier bullet, 165, 180 or even 200 grain. I would expect there would be a forum somewhere devoted to this concept.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    There is a balancing act that goes on when a pistol is suppressed and expected to function. Your son is correct in that enough recoil pulse is needed to overcome the inertia of the recoil spring, barrel and slide plus the additional weight of the suppressor. It would be easier to do with a heavier bullet, 165, 180 or even 200 grain. I would expect there would be a forum somewhere devoted to this concept.

There is much truth in what you say 62fuelie. Part of the reason I specified the gun, is that variou8s pistols, with differing recoil springs, supported/unsopported barrels, and each with their own "peculariarities", etc. all seem to "want" a specific powder/load... even more so when it comes to suppression, from what I gather.
    I was hoping that someone would chime in with "MY Glock .40's favorite suppressed load is...."
    Thanks for the replies guys [:)]
  • Options
    distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    +1 Heavy bullets under 1000FPS.