In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question For Reloaders

I heard of a situation that a guy was pouring gun powder through a plastic funnel and static electricity built up and it ignited.

I heard of gas cans in plastic gas jugs exploding in plastic bed liners, but never this......

Any truth to this ?

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Re: 30-06 Shells
    using IMR 4350 Powder @ 58 grains & 165 Sierra BT bullet
    How Far Does It Fill the Cartridge
    I'm Just Double Checking As looks To Me about 1/2 Way up the neck Does This Sound Normal ??
    My 1st time Reloading
    Yes boys A Am a Virgin[:D]
    So Laugh if You Must I Just Wanna be Able To still Laugh Later[;)]
    Thanks
    Woody
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds about right. Military brass is thicker than commercial so height up case neck is variable. Check your zero on the scale, the powder can and your loading data. Always good to be safe, much faster than healing.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got done loading 52 grains of the same powder under a 165 grain Hornady bullet. the powder came up to just where the neck narrows, so I thing you are right on track. For the first time, 58 grains is a rather stout load? Max in my Lyman manual for most bullets. Why start off with a max load? Id reccomend at least the middle of the field and then shoot a few in your rifle to see how they pattern. You may or may not be where you end up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i went to Hodgdon powder Web site it took Me to IMR Data And that says 56 Min & 60 Max So I figured 58 Would be good
    What Say You
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    i went to Hodgdon powder Web site it took Me to IMR Data And that says 56 Min & 60 Max So I figured 58 Would be good
    What Say You

You are right in the middle as the chart says, so you should be OK with that load [^]
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    What Say You

60gr(c) = compacted load(you have to smash the powder into the case so the bullet will fit). I stay away from these myself.

I love there website for reloading data. It gives you a place to look at info & a place to start.

For me, that would be an Ok place to start(58gr). Some people have a rule of thumb to start at the bottom & work your way up slowly to prevent chaos.

If your ever curious & have some spare time, you can take a spent case (no primer), load a bullet & fill empty case with water. Weigh the water to find that brand of case capaicity. You can assume that 80% of this weight is a good start to finding a load. Now just find a powder that calls for a powder charge similar to your 80% fill weight. I learned this from some discussion here and other reloading forums. (There is alot of talk that 80% case fill makes a good load because it ignites uniformly)

Good luck, the reloader anonymous groups meet on Fri evenings.[:D]
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes that sounds like you did it right! All the manuals differ somewhat depending on how old they are, and my Lyman is pretty old.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just make sure that the load data is specifically for IMR-4350 and not H4350. While Hodgdon now owns the IMR line, IMR-4350 is condition sensitive (Hot cold etc.). I would recommend starting in the middle or lower end of the load data.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullet matters - a lot. Data for one 165-gr bullet can vary by several grains versus somebody else's 165-gr bullet. Much more than just the bullet weight is involved. That's why the universal common-sense suggestion is to start with the Start load.

And it is ALWAYS best to use the bullet maker's data.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    The bullet matters - a lot. Data for one 165-gr bullet can vary by several grains versus somebody else's 165-gr bullet. Much more than just the bullet weight is involved. That's why the universal common-sense suggestion is to start with the Start load.

And it is ALWAYS best to use the bullet maker's data.

That's the data I like to use as well.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woodshed: One of my hobbies is shooting over an Oehler 35P chronograph. I have pretty much standardized my .30/06 165 gr. loads at 57 gr. of IMR4350. I have fired this load with several different bullets (all lead core: no solid copper) from several different rifles. With your Sierra BT bullet, velocity averaged 2794 fps @ 10 ft. from the muzzle. Again, that is an average from several rifles. I don't think your 58 gr. load is over the top but it is pushing things. You are after 2800 fps and my experience indicates 57 gr. of IMR4350 will get you there.

BTW: The next time you buy a box of bullets, try the Sierra 165 gr. hollow point boat tail (HPBT). It's a hunting bullet, too and it shoots a little better group-wise in my rifles than the BT with 57 gr. of IMR4350.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose Hows The Expansion between the Two ???
    And For Info I went 56 Grs 4350 Instead[:D]
    Woodyquote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    woodshed: One of my hobbies is shooting over an Oehler 35P chronograph. I have pretty much standardized my .30/06 165 gr. loads at 57 gr. of IMR4350. I have fired this load with several different bullets (all lead core: no solid copper) from several different rifles. With your Sierra BT bullet, velocity averaged 2794 fps @ 10 ft. from the muzzle. Again, that is an average from several rifles. I don't think your 58 gr. load is over the top but it is pushing things. You are after 2800 fps and my experience indicates 57 gr. of IMR4350 will get you there.

BTW: The next time you buy a box of bullets, try the Sierra 165 gr. hollow point boat tail (HPBT). It's a hunting bullet, too and it shoots a little better group-wise in my rifles than the BT with 57 gr. of IMR4350.