In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best tumbler for brass?

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I tumble primarily small/medium size batches of rifle and pistol brass and I'm looking for a new tumbler that will last. So far I have gone thru 2 Lymans and my Dillon CV500 just died; a replacement for it's Mexican-made motor will be $105 since the base has to be replaced to accomodate the larger motor. The Dillon was a good unit until the motor died; the warranty was only 1 year and if I get another one I'll probably just pay another $5 and get an entire new unit. I hear that the new Dillon is a much-improved unit. I'm hoping that my 4th tumbler (in 20 years) will be my last; I'm considering an industrial unit like the one that Thumbler's Tumblers sells, But I'm sure that the price is really high. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what are tumbling?? cinderblocks?? I have been running a dillon that I bought USED from another guy who shot pistol competitions. Mine is the BIG vibrating cleaner. I will throw 500 5.56 cases or several hundred total, assorted cases into it and leave it go for 5-6hrs at a time.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Thumlers Model B. Wet tumble bp fired cases for 1 hour and smokeless cases for 1/2 hr. Use ss pins, a shot of liquid hand dishwash detergent, and some citric acid(lemon juice or LemShine) in hot water.

Whats nice about the Thumler is all parts are out in the open and easily replaceable. Being designed to tumble rocks for days at a time, I'm sure doing a few pounds of brass a couple of times a week will lead to a long service life. Also is very quiet on operation. Cost is about $170.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have the cheapo frankfort arsenal model before they were even called that, i.e. midway's brand. I've had it for 10 years and never an issue. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the rotary SS pin method, but that wasn't available at the time and I am not right now in the mood to buy an expensive tumbler that I don't particularly need.

But yes, if you want something that will last, that would be my suggestion also.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I have the cheapo frankfort arsenal model before they were even called that, i.e. midway's brand. I've had it for 10 years and never an issue. If I had to do it over again I'd go with the rotary SS pin method, but that wasn't available at the time and I am not right now in the mood to buy an expensive tumbler that I don't particularly need.

But yes, if you want something that will last, that would be my suggestion also.

My Midway has been running strong since the mid '90,s [?]
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two vibrating tumblers using walnut or corn cobb media and a Tumblers Tumbler that using SS pins. Rather have the Tumblers Tumbler.

SS does a better job, expecially on the inside of brass, is less the time.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive been using a vibrating tumbler from Cabelas for years and if you want to prolong the life, spend a few bucks and buy a good polish to add to the walnut or corncob. It rejuvinates the media and shortens the tumbling time by multiples.
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the useful info; I tore the motor apart on my Dillon CV500 and replaced the 2 bearings that support the motor shaft (it was wobbling and shorting out) and it's working like new again (for how long is anyone's guess). I didn't know about the SS pin/rotary tumbler method,,I just may have to buy one...
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    several years ago I bought a used Dillon (large), finaly the motor died. I called Dillon and they said "Oh, sorry but we haven't made that one since 1992, send it in and we'll sell you a new one for 1/2 price".......the new one works well
  • Options
    distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    Wet SS pins KICK!
    If you deprime first 98% of the cases look like new INSIDE and out incl. primer pockets.

I also have a BIG Dillon that I still use on occasion which has been going strong since ~94.

I bought a large ultrasonic, but it collects dust most of the time and only gets used for cleaning small gun parts.
    It does not work nearly as well as the SS on brass and only slightly above average on gun parts.
    Make sure to use the correct solution on gun parts as the stuff for brass WILL remove bluing etc.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also joined the ranks of satisfied Thumbler owners last year. I'll never go back to any other type. [8D]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use two Dillon large vibrators for walnut media and a smaller Lyman for corn cob for the cases I want to put a higher shine on. The Lyman is more than 20 years old one Dillon is more than 15 and the other is near new. All work great.
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my fraklin aresonel works as good as the day I bought it ten years ago. also no signs of wear other than a little dirty.I have put over a 100,000 cases through it.[;)][8D][:p][:)].
  • Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Lyman pro magmun tumbler. Was laughing about the instructions saying the top must be on tight to keep it stable. Making sure the top was tight I turned it on, it walks all over the floor only thing keeping in the garage is the cord. Grand son loves watching it roam around the room. I guess it does a pretty good cleaning the brass but can't see it lasting long the way it runs around. Wonder what it would do with a loose top?
    JW
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allow me to plug Berry's Mfg. Berry's makes the tumblers sold by a lot of other folks. I've been in the plant and watched them making red ones, and blue ones, and yellow ones, and green ones...

Just get one directly from Berry's. Very friendly folks, good prices, superb warranty, and they treat you like a fellow shooter - because they are.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found with my Lyman that I had to tighten the factory nut then put another jam nut on top of it to keep it from roaming. This keeps the top on tight and stops the tub from shaking and rotating so much that it sets the whole assembly in motion.

quote:Originally posted by jwharding
    I bought a Lyman pro magmun tumbler. Was laughing about the instructions saying the top must be on tight to keep it stable. Making sure the top was tight I turned it on, it walks all over the floor only thing keeping in the garage is the cord. Grand son loves watching it roam around the room. I guess it does a pretty good cleaning the brass but can't see it lasting long the way it runs around. Wonder what it would do with a loose top?
    JW
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is a Frankfort Arsenal one from Midway. The cost was fair (not overpriced at all) and it hums along without a hiccup for rifle and handgun brass.