In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best gun for IDPA?

dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
Local club is offering IDPA shoots weekly. I'm retired Law-enforcement and interested is shooting. Not really interested in what brand of gun. More interested in whether to shoot 9mm or 45. Is the 9mm going to be quicker to get back on target with less recoil? I have both guns and shoot them equally well. Any advantage to the larger hole with the 45? Just don't know what to take???

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9mm and .45 shooters do not normally compete head to head in IDPA.
    These days, take the one you have the most ammo or components for.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PRAISE THE HARD BALL GUN. Nothing a 9MM can do that a 45ACP Cant do better[^][:0][:I][:o)]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree with Karl, but, there is alot to be said for the 38 Super.
    Having said that, the only way the super is a good choice is if your a reloader. If you don't load, stay with the 45 ACP and don't look back.
    W.D.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've shot both in our matches. Went with the 9mm for less recoil and more rounds [;)]
  • Options
    dude1951dude1951 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the imput. I've always been a 45 fan and have shot 45 in many a Police match. 45 it is![:D]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends what you shoot well. I use a Browning Hi Power in 9mm and have never had a problem and sometimes a USP 40.

There was one competition with a knock down target that required a center of mass hit to take it down. Some of the 45's ran dry for a DNF while many of the 9mm's were able to complete.
  • Options
    NordicwargodNordicwargod Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use 9mm! We never get much of our brass back in uspsa matches. Gets stepped on and pushed into the ground! This from a reloaders point of view. With falling plates/steel matches anything goes!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The only real advantage to using the 45 is the larger bullet will sometimes get you a higher score due to the larger hole. I shoot a 9mm Taurus 99. I use it because 9mm is a little cheaper to re-load. I like the Taurus because it has a 5" barrel, adjustable sights, and I can carry it cocked and locked. I have Glocks, SIG's, Colts, and H&Ks.