In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9 mm Tracers

themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
I'm a sucker for different stuff. Ran into some 9 mm tracers at the gun show SATurdat. Got only a hundred. Now I'm wondering why. They are 85 grain Jacketed round nose. THe base has some exposed grey material I guess tracer burnable. The point of impact will be far different than standard weight bullets I'M wondering what purpose they could serve except to slip one on my buddy at the range when he's not expecting it
There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putting aside the SIGNIFICANT fire hazard from tracers, at one time I loaded one as the NEXT to last round in the mag. When you see tracer, MAG is empty, gun is not. Chage mags, continue to march.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are handy for learning to shoot things out of the air. They can and do start fires. I wouldn't shoot them in a nice target gun. Trajectory will be was different than normal ammo, up close it will not matter as much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I guess they will be a novelty. The fire hazzard might relegate them useless for entertainment. I can't see me shooting things out of mid-air with anything but a shotgun. And then it's not a given.
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can help to visually explain trajectory and point of aim/point of impact to a beginner or a novice, and they can be used to ID when a mag is low. I've seen a small fire started with them in 7.62x39mm, that caused a rush to cease fire and a comical fire brigade to be assembled. be safe with them!

(As for myself, I'll pass.)
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Pistol tracers have been usually used by the military for signalling, or for directing fire at hard-to-see targets such as well-camo'd firing points.

For civilian use, they are lots of fun to bounce around in a gravel pit.

Early in WW2, some fighter pilots also used solid-linked tracers to indicate when their ammunition had reached the point of exhaustion. Which was also a signal to the enemy to storm at the pilot with Zeros or BF109's, LOL.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my missions over Cambodia, I carried my issue 4" S&W loaded with six .38 Special tracers - to be used only if I ran out of signal flares.

Or if I was about to be captured.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I am glad they can serve a useful purpose. I just don't think I'll be faced with that purpose. The gravel pit in a down pour might be their fate.