In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Berrys bullets

jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
Anyone here ever load or shoot any of these Berrys bullets ?
If so how do they compare to a regular jacketed bullet ?
Do they lead the barrel or can you load them just like you would if using a jacketed bullet ? I have a chance to pick some up for in my 9mm ( 124gr hollow point ) What little I read about them says they are " Plated " ???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Found a deal on .45 cal..452 dia. 230 gr. round nose, plated berrys bullets. Can't find any info. On loading them. Their the same size as the hornady .45 cal. 230 gr. fmj- r n bullets except there 7 thousandths shorter. Would it be safe to use the hornady info to load these bullets. Called berrys and couldnt get anyone on phone who new anything about them. Secratary ask if she could help, i just hung up. Need to load them their the only ones I can find around here and I'm bout out of ammo.
    Hornady info is accurate #5. 6.5 to 7.4 coal 1.210
    Thanks JW
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will be ok. I suspect the Hornady will have a tougher jacket. Check for function/feeding issues before you load them all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Charlie, I'm new to reloading an need all the help I can get. I know the berrys bullets are plated with a thin coat of copper an read where their real soft also. I just don't want to blow up a gun or me trying to save money on bullets. I'll try then with a light load an see wht happens
    JW
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That secretary might reload and shoot more than you do! I've met her during my plant visits, and nearly ALL the staff there are shooters.

To your question, plated bullets should be loaded somewhere between cast and jacketed data. Data for jacketed is usually a bit lower due to the added friction of a jacket. So jacketed data is most often fine with plated bullets.

One more thing: The plating on Berry's bullets isn't all that thin. It's almost as thick as a regular jacket, and they even offer some bullets with extra thick plating. I can absolutely vouch for bullets from Berry's or Rainier as being top notch.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gil Berry makes a good bullet. I have been shooting his since he was casting out of a plumber's melting pot in a Quonset hut in south Fontana, CA in the early 70's. He is very concientious about his QC. I use 700X with his "DoubleStruck" .45 230 gr. RN in all my .45s - 1911,s, H&K USP and Sig P220. They function well and are accurate enough for casual target shooting.

DuPont info 5.0 grains 700x (range is 4.8 to 5.2)
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the above posters positive views , the Berry's are great bullets , and the copper plating [double struck] is plenty tough.
    I have used many thousands in 9mm,38/357,44, and 45acp. They are great for the range, saves you a bit of cash over the regular jacketed type.
    For 45 acp I use 6.5 gr of Unique, a max load and seat at 1.25 col . This col works for me in my gov't and commander Colt's and my Kimber Pro Raptor II.
    I get about 840 fps from a 5" barrel .
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Berry's stuff as well, used them for years also. I will say that the plated bullets don't like a heavy roll crimp (The .44 HP bullets have no crimp groove/cannelure), but in your .45 ACP this shouldn't be an issue at all.

I keep my plated bullet loads at lead bullet velocities, and I've never had an issue with one of them copper fouling or leading up the bore.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Load it with 6.0 of Unique and smile from ear to ear.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Load it with 6.0 of Unique and smile from ear to ear.
    +1 on the above... I seat mine to a OAL of 1.265
  • Options
    rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot them in a gov-ment model. No problems. I am using about 5 grains of 231 (don't quote me on this charge). The load data is for FMJ. Just don't load them in a Win. Mag.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rawiron1
    I shoot them in a gov-ment model. No problems. I am using about 5 grains of 231 (don't quote me on this charge). The load data is for FMJ. Just don't load them in a Win. Mag.

That's about the same as my cast plinking loads, and what I used on the Berry's HP loads. Just use Jacketed data and smile