In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading .223

I am new to reloading. I want to reload .223 for an AR-15 and Mini 14. I have a RCBS rockchucker press. What dies should I buy? Do I want full length or small base? I would like to stick with RCBS dies but I am open to suggestions if there is a reason.
Thanks in Advance

Sent to reloading forum for discussion beyond ten posts.

Comments

• SamsDad1911SamsDad1911 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading and will be reloading for an AR 15 and a mini 14. I bought a used RCBS rockchucker. What dies should I buy to start my new adventure? Thanks in advance.
  • SamsDad1911SamsDad1911 Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it worth it to reload the .223?
    I have heard that most of the AR's are finicky eaters.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use any die I can get my hands on.

I like the Lee just as much as the RCBS or Hornaday.

I full length resize always and use standard dies in my Bushmaster ACR and DPMS Panther AR 15.

I use the Hornaday lube and have no problems. I shot it today with no issues thru 50 rounds.
    They were loaded on an RCBS Rockchucker with Lee dies.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the small base dies, it's pretty much a given for autoloading rifles. The brand of die doesn't really matter.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say go with the small base. You have to do full length, might as well do the SB.

Sort of related, I have a Mini 14 and a few ARs, these are (just my opinion) the best brass catchers around, especially the Mini version.

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html#Anchor-47857

I have an adjustable gas block for my Mini and still use one. Catches them all and doesn't interfere with function.
  • BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto on the small base dies. And get a Wilson cartrige case gauge. When your cases are sized and trimmed to fit the gauge, you'll have no trouble feeding, fireing, or ejecting. Shooting will be fun! BT
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SamsDad1911,

For just about any semi-auto, or pump action rifle, I use the Small Base dies, if they are available for the cartridge being loaded. It just works better that way, IMHO.

Best
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The LEE dies size to spec close to "small base" and I've not found any .223 or 5.56 chamber that chokes on brass sized with them.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Go with the small base. I loaded with regular for a Mini and with the tight chamber it had, they locked the bolt up and I had one hell of a time getting it open [xx(]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I prefer regular spec dies, since they work the brass less. If your loads are somewhat less than max, the resizing is generally sufficient and the brass last several loadings more than those with higher pressures. But if you want to run it to "full potential" and have it eject reliably, you are probably stuck with getting small base. For the last twenty years or so I have preferred Redding dies for the press; Wilson dies for serious shooting.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the regular size dies. I do make sure I have a good cam-over when I size though.

You'll also have a lot less problems if you keep to .223 pressures instead of (like some people I know) trying to get 5.56 pressures through a .223 chamber. I've seen many people think that they can use .223 brass again and again, after they've flattened the primer flush.

The only reason the pockets don't give out when you overpressure a .223 case is because the total pressure (psi*A) is less, even though cubic pressure is higher (PSI). It takes about a 5k psi overpressure to really loosen the pockets.

In short, just keep your loads reasonable. It'll help.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my ARs and M16s have 5.56 chambers
    I use Dillon carbide and Lee dies, not small base
    Load and shoot over 12,000 rds a year
  • distinguisheddistinguished Member Posts: 62
    edited November -1
    At the present time whatever Full length die set you can get.