In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.316 gr. 8mm bullets???

Thru some horse trading at last weekend's gun show I acquired 6 boxes of .316 dia. copper jacketed pointed lead nose reloading bullets. They weigh in at 196 grains each with a tapered base. All have a shield silhouette with a U in it's center stamped into the base. I checked my caliper to make sure it was zeroed 2 times to insure a correct measurement. These are too small to qualify as a "J" barrel bullet which is supposed to be a .318 bore. What did I stumble into here?

Comments

• Options
    gustafsfangustafsfan Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Title should read .316 Dia., 8mm bullets???[:)][:D][B)]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps for a 8.15x46R.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say it's for a .310 Cadet {310 greener-310 Martin} but it is a little heavy. Probably a old "oversized" bullet for the shot out 303 British.
    ""The measurement .303-inch (7.7 mm) is the nominal size of the bore measured between the lands which follows the older black powder nomenclature. Measured between the grooves, the nominal size of the bore is .311-inch (7.9 mm). Bores for many .303 military surplus rifles are often found ranging from around .309-inch (7.8 mm) up to .318-inch (8.1 mm). Recommended bullet diameter for standard .303 cartridges is .312-inch (7.9 mm).""
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per Cartridges of the World; for 196 gr. bullet weight, the only cartridges with .316 diameter are the 8X48R Sauer and 8X51 Mauser.
    The Sauer was a black powder cartridge. The Mauser was designed for a short action in 1888.
  • Options
    gustafsfangustafsfan Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thanks to charlie, babun & navc for replies to my question. After researching your answers I have concluded that I am now the proud owner of almost 300 early 20th century German bullets for which I have no firearm to use them in. I think I'll put them up on auction and see if someone out there would like to shoot some jacketed rounds instead of lead out of their old Mauser as I don't think this size bullet is readily available on this side of the pond. Thanks again to all for your help.
    "gustafsfan"
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you put them up for auction, recommend them for any handloaders that have worn out Enfields .303's. There are a lot of them around. make sure you advise to slug their bores before using them.
    I wish I had some of them when I had my SMLE with a .315" "rotten" out bore.[xx(]