In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rio shotgun primers

JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
Did some housecleaning in my reloading room today and found 3000 Rio primers I forgot I bought. Any comments on them? I heard they miced out 3 or 4 thousands bigger than 209s. shouldnt be a problem unless it makes the pocket too big to go back to 209s.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jce12gajce12ga Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Rio and Cheddite primers both in the Remington unibody hulls,( STS, Gun Club, Nitro,...) with no problems. The European primers will mike out about _002-.003 larger than the American primers. Don't try to use the American primers in the hulls once you have used the European primers in them, fit may be loose. In a single shot or o/u it may not be a problem but in a pump or semi you could wind up with a loose primer in the action.

I also made up a real easy tool to check primer fit in hulls. Take a spent US made primer and epoxy it to a short piece of 1/4 inch doweling. If you can't push the primer in over 2/3's to 3/4's of seating depth you are probably OK.

Since my sources for the Cheddite and Rio's has changed, along with prices, I will probably be using the American primers again once my current supply of Cheddites are gone and I will probably toss the hulls. [^][:)]
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if I understand right Cheddite primers are .002-.003 bigger than Winchester primers?
  • Options
    jce12gajce12ga Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    peddler,

The Cheddites and Rios are slightly larger but will still seat OK.
    Check with a mike or some good dial calipers to your own satisfaction.

I have used them for several years with good results in everything from light 7/8 oz.target loads to 1 1/8 oz. 1450+ fps filed loads.